Mass mailing services
Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:03
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2005

About a year or so ago, I came across a couple of sites on the Internet for companies offering mass mailing services to agencies. As advertised, the services would send a program to you to allow you to send a single letter to hundreds or thousands of agencies giving your essential information, and to the recipient it would appear that only their single e-mail was sent to. Now that I am ready to do this, I cannot find info regarding companies providing this service.

Anyone here have info regarding such services? To me, it would seem worthwhile to utilize such a service, given 1.) how time consuming it is to send a separate e-mail to each individual agency and 2.) given the low rate of return on such mailings.

Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

A good day to all,

Bob


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
Swedish to English
Mass mailing Jul 11, 2005

Hi Bob,

I would guess that the companies offering such a service were the ones responsible for most of the junk that our mailboxes are bombarded with. You can easily send bulk mail shots yourself using either freeware or via plugins for standard mail programs.

I suggest that you visit http://www.tucows.com/ and do a search for 'mail merge' or 'mailmerge' software.

If you do some searching under mail merge on Google I am sure that you will also find a better explanation of what the programs offer than I could give you.

Good luck,
Ben




Robert Forstag wrote:

About a year or so ago, I came across a couple of sites on the Internet for companies offering mass mailing services to agencies. As advertised, the services would send a program to you to allow you to send a single letter to hundreds or thousands of agencies giving your essential information, and to the recipient it would appear that only their single e-mail was sent to. Now that I am ready to do this, I cannot find info regarding companies providing this service.

Anyone here have info regarding such services? To me, it would seem worthwhile to utilize such a service, given 1.) how time consuming it is to send a separate e-mail to each individual agency and 2.) given the low rate of return on such mailings.

Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

A good day to all,

Bob


Direct link Reply with quote
 
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:03
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
GroupMail from Infacta Jul 11, 2005

I have tried an agency but am now using GroupMail from http://www.infacta.com/

Using an agency you have to put together documents and mailing lists anyway - so in fact I do not find it more complicated using software running on my own machine.

I am using the free version - so far I can live with its restrictions (e.g. 100 recipients per mailshot but you can just run as many of those as you want, one after the other...). It is in fact quite impressive in terms of function, not the least the editor which is at par with many web page editors I have seen. And it is very fast.

With all mass mailings I would recommend that you send the mailshot to a test list first - a list only containing your own e-mail address(es) - so you can check how he e-mail looks and remove errors before you send it out to all those companies that your life depends on...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
You are lucky.. Jul 11, 2005

..if the recipients won't remember your name for too long as a spammer.

I could tell you how to do it, but I would not appreciate to find your spam in my inbox next days...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:03
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mass mailing is not effective Jul 11, 2005

Dear colleague,

I don't think mass mailing is acceptable, let alone effective. In fact it is largely despised. Its only advantage is the low cost, but not being very welcome by the recipients (and they are potential customers) I would seriously think before sending it.

Last time I had the need to increase my customer base, I sent out 3 messages and acquired 2 customes. The secret is to send very few messages, very professional, and aiming at the subject that a careful research identifies as likely to need a specific services.

Also, a marketing campaing needs to be articulated in several coordinated and timed actions, including an inquiry/phone call before writing, a customized message, a follow-up call 24-48 hours after the message, listening to the customer needs, etc.

Mass mailing is not the best tool for professional services, but rather for mass produced goods.
At least, this is how I would design a marketing action.


Gianfranco



[Edited at 2005-07-11 22:39]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Keep within the law Jul 11, 2005

I believe the sending of mass emails is strictly regulated by US law - not as strictly as some people would like it to be, but if you do it, be careful not to fall foul of the law.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
Local time: 17:03
German to Polish
+ ...
Why mass mail? Jul 12, 2005

Harry_B wrote:
You are lucky
..if the recipients won't remember your name for too long as a spammer.

I could tell you how to do it, but I would not appreciate to find your spam in my inbox next days...

Indeed.

Dear Robert, IMHO mass mail does more harm than anything else...
Regards,
Agnieszka


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:03
English to German
+ ...
Reasons for low rate of return...? Jul 12, 2005

Hi Bob,
I realise that this isn't an answer to your query - but have you considered why mails to agencies don't get many returns?


Anyone here have info regarding such services? To me, it would seem worthwhile to utilize such a service, given 1.) how time consuming it is to send a separate e-mail to each individual agency and 2.) given the low rate of return on such mailings.

I will not respond to any enquiry that is recognisable as a mass mailing (no specific recipient e-mail address visible, generic wording, "Dear madam, dear sir...", etc.). This is because quite obviously, the senders of such mails have not invested a few minutes to check our website, find out what we're doing, research a contact name, etc. Don't forget that you're trying to establish a business relationship - demonstrating that you've done some research, and customising the message to the recipient is a mark of respect for your potential business partner. (Obviously, a mass mailing is not...)

Best regards,
Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:03
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
One organisation advertised that service Jul 12, 2005

Hi Robert,

I could tell you exactly where you read about it. One organisation advertised that service, about a year ago, but they have stopped doing it now.

The best thing to do is to send intelligent letters to very carefully selected local end customers, in the industry in which your translation experience is focused.

Astrid


Direct link Reply with quote
 

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 17:03
German
+ ...
Thanks + Rant Aug 10, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Bob,
I realise that this isn't an answer to your query - but have you considered why mails to agencies don't get many returns?


Anyone here have info regarding such services? To me, it would seem worthwhile to utilize such a service, given 1.) how time consuming it is to send a separate e-mail to each individual agency and 2.) given the low rate of return on such mailings.

I will not respond to any enquiry that is recognisable as a mass mailing (no specific recipient e-mail address visible, generic wording, "Dear madam, dear sir...", etc.). This is because quite obviously, the senders of such mails have not invested a few minutes to check our website, find out what we're doing, research a contact name, etc. Don't forget that you're trying to establish a business relationship - demonstrating that you've done some research, and customising the message to the recipient is a mark of respect for your potential business partner. (Obviously, a mass mailing is not...)

Best regards,
Ralf

Thank you, Ralf.

My opinion in short: Mass mails=SPAM.

Added rant: Spellchecking your e-mails before sending them to the agency also never hurts. Just in case anyone didn't know that. After all, you ARE applying for a job as a LANGUAGE PROFESSIONAL.

And PLEASE note: It is extremely annoying and impolite if you send your applications to the webmaster of the potential client's website. The webmaster is the guy who's responsible for content, layout and technical administration of the website. Not for translations. Not for Human Resources. Not for correspondence with colleagues. Just for the website. Okay?

We get tons of applications to that address although both our profile and our website(s) CLEARLY state that applications are to be addressed to our freelance@... account. What's the difficulty? If you obviously can't read clear and simple instructions, how do you expect us to entrust you with the professional translation of complicated texts?

Ah, that was relieving. I've been meaning to say all this for a long time.

Best regards and good luck with your applications,
Benjamin


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Personal mass mailing can be more successful Aug 11, 2005

Robert Forstag wrote:
To me, it would seem worthwhile to utilize such a service, given 1.) how time consuming it is to send a separate e-mail to each individual agency and 2.) given the low rate of return on such mailings.


Such a mass mailing's success depends on how up to date the list of addresses is and how saturated they are with mails from previous users of the same software.

You're not the first client to use this particular list. You're probably the 1000th or the 10 000th (otherwise the list owner wouldn't make a profit). This means that everyone of those agencies have received 10 000 e-mails that look vaguely similar (even if you write your own message).

However, if there is software that can help you, then you should try it. The software should also help you keep record of whom you sent what message to, as well as what their responses were. Also, the software should enable you to track the specific needs of each agency so that your follow-up mailings can be as successful as possible. You're sending out a generic message and you'll probably get generic answers. How you deal with those answers will determine how successful the mass mailing is in the end.

But software that simply allows you to write a message, add a list of 1000s of agencies, press SEND and forget about it, is not worth it. You're not a machine... you make money because you are human, and agencies like to deal with people in the end.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mass mailing services

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search