What are the procedures to \"certify\" my documents for trial?
Thread poster: Kevin Schlottmann

Kevin Schlottmann  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:23
German to English
Jun 26, 2002

I have been working as a translator for a law firm for some time now, and my case is scheduled to go to trial.

What are the certification procedures that I need to go through in order to \"certify\" my documents for use at trial?

Also, is there a federal rule that addresses this issue?

Thank you!


Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If the US Jun 27, 2002

You put the following phrase in at the end of each document:

I, the undersigned, x, hereby certify that I am a professional [German-to-English] translator and that the foregoing [document] is a true and faithful translation of the [German] language original. [You can get your lawyer friends to add to that if they want. ] Then, you type in



And get a notary public to apply his or her seal to it. He/she can also stamp in the date. I believe it\'s on the seal. Probably one of the lawyers in your firm is a notary. If not, you find one, pay them a buck or two a document, show them ID proving who you are and sign the document in their presence. If you are in Germany, the notary will be at a US consulate or embassy.

That\'s it.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-27 00:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-27 00:57 ]


English to French
+ ...
Depends on the court Jun 27, 2002

Usually, the court rules of procedure specify what phrase or procedure is to be used for a translation to be acceptable to a court. And court rules are specific to a particular court.

Perhaps letting us know exactly what country (and possibly jurisdiction) this concerns. The Internet is world-wide, you know....


pbp28  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
legalizations Jun 27, 2002

Depending on the country, I do have a few acts that I can forward.




Raymond Chu
Local time: 10:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
Additional Information Jun 27, 2002

Jane has given some useful suggestions. Here are some additional information based on my personal experience:

Some American courts require that the translation be done by translators certified by that particular court having jurisdiction over the case. But most US courts do admit translations done by non-certified foreign translators if a brief declaration to the effect suggested by Jane is attached to the translation and duly signed by the translators. The court may also require that a resume of the translator be attached to the translation. At any rate, it is always advisable to have a resume ready and submit to your attorney client. To have your declaration and signature notarized is always helpful although the need for that really depends on the requirement of the court. Every jurisdiction or even every court in a country like USA has difference procedural rules and requirements. You client should be prepared to tell you what to do.


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the procedures to \"certify\" my documents for trial?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search