What are the procedures to \"certify\" my documents for trial?
Thread poster: Kevin Schlottmann
Kevin Schlottmann
Kevin Schlottmann  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:14
German to English
Jun 26, 2002

I have been working as a translator for a law firm for some time now, and my case is scheduled to go to trial.

What are the certification procedures that I need to go through in order to \"certify\" my documents for use at trial?

Also, is there a federal rule that addresses this issue?

Thank you!

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If the US Jun 27, 2002

You put the following phrase in at the end of each document:

I, the undersigned, x, hereby certify that I am a professional [German-to-English] translator and that the foregoing [document] is a true and faithful translation of the [German] language original. [You can get your lawyer friends to add to that if they want. ] Then, you type in

Date:

Signature:

And get a notary public to apply his or her seal to it. He/she can also stamp in the dat
... See more
You put the following phrase in at the end of each document:

I, the undersigned, x, hereby certify that I am a professional [German-to-English] translator and that the foregoing [document] is a true and faithful translation of the [German] language original. [You can get your lawyer friends to add to that if they want. ] Then, you type in

Date:

Signature:

And get a notary public to apply his or her seal to it. He/she can also stamp in the date. I believe it\'s on the seal. Probably one of the lawyers in your firm is a notary. If not, you find one, pay them a buck or two a document, show them ID proving who you are and sign the document in their presence. If you are in Germany, the notary will be at a US consulate or embassy.

That\'s it.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-27 00:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-27 00:57 ]
Collapse

cheungmo
cheungmo
English to French
+ ...
Depends on the court Jun 27, 2002

Usually, the court rules of procedure specify what phrase or procedure is to be used for a translation to be acceptable to a court. And court rules are specific to a particular court.

Perhaps letting us know exactly what country (and possibly jurisdiction) this concerns. The Internet is world-wide, you know....

pbp28
pbp28  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
legalizations Jun 27, 2002

Depending on the country, I do have a few acts that I can forward.

Rgds,

Pilar

Raymond Chu
Raymond Chu
Taiwan
Local time: 05:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Additional Information Jun 27, 2002

Jane has given some useful suggestions. Here are some additional information based on my personal experience:

Some American courts require that the translation be done by translators certified by that particular court having jurisdiction over the case. But most US courts do admit translations done by non-certified foreign translators if a brief declaration to the effect suggested by Jane is attached to the translation and duly signed by the translators. The court may also re
... See more
Jane has given some useful suggestions. Here are some additional information based on my personal experience:

Some American courts require that the translation be done by translators certified by that particular court having jurisdiction over the case. But most US courts do admit translations done by non-certified foreign translators if a brief declaration to the effect suggested by Jane is attached to the translation and duly signed by the translators. The court may also require that a resume of the translator be attached to the translation. At any rate, it is always advisable to have a resume ready and submit to your attorney client. To have your declaration and signature notarized is always helpful although the need for that really depends on the requirement of the court. Every jurisdiction or even every court in a country like USA has difference procedural rules and requirements. You client should be prepared to tell you what to do.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the procedures to \"certify\" my documents for trial?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »