Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Is it normal for an agency to ask us for our "RACE"?
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:44
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 20, 2005

I'm sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this question.

I was wondering if it normal for an agency to ask us for our race in their application form.

I've just received an e-mail with a form from an agency with which I worked only once. They want to know more information about me to fill in some gaps in their database.

I was quite shocked when I saw they were asking about the "race". Is it important? Is it normal?

Thank you in advance for
... See more
I'm sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this question.

I was wondering if it normal for an agency to ask us for our race in their application form.

I've just received an e-mail with a form from an agency with which I worked only once. They want to know more information about me to fill in some gaps in their database.

I was quite shocked when I saw they were asking about the "race". Is it important? Is it normal?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Ivana
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:44
German to English
+ ...
suggest you ask the agency what they want to know and why Sep 20, 2005

Maybe it's a poor choice of term and they actually mean something else (e.g. if the form was drafted by someone not working in his or her native language).

Otherwise, asking about race seems rather strange and questionable, and it is illegal in many countries under the terms of anti-discrimination legislation.

[Edited at 2005-09-20 23:52]

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:44
Spanish to English
In Canada this is normal for job application forms Sep 20, 2005

In Canada, quite often you will see a category for "visible minorities" at the end of job applications, particularly for government or larger organizations. I think this is the government's attempt to provide more equal opportunity for visible ethnic groups.

Maybe they meant "rates" instead of "race"?

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
race? Sep 21, 2005

Russell Gillis wrote:

In Canada, quite often you will see a category for "visible minorities" at the end of job applications, particularly for government or larger organizations. I think this is the government's attempt to provide more equal opportunity for visible ethnic groups.

human...

Luis Zepeda
Luis Zepeda
United States
Local time: 01:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is it normal for an agency to asks us for our "RACE" Sep 21, 2005

Although this is not supposed to be asked as "part of your application" in the US, the EEO Law requires statistics be maintained as to the applicants/selectees. This is to show there is an equal opportunity for all applicants which is based on their professional abilities and not on their ethnic background. I would be reluctant to apply for a job which asks straight out for my race. However, in my opinion, there is no doubt that in the case of interpreters and translators, the "Native Language" ... See more
Although this is not supposed to be asked as "part of your application" in the US, the EEO Law requires statistics be maintained as to the applicants/selectees. This is to show there is an equal opportunity for all applicants which is based on their professional abilities and not on their ethnic background. I would be reluctant to apply for a job which asks straight out for my race. However, in my opinion, there is no doubt that in the case of interpreters and translators, the "Native Language" has to be taken into account, but it should not matter what your race is.Collapse

BAmary (X)
BAmary (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can choose not to answer if you find it inappropriate Sep 21, 2005

Russell Gillis wrote:

Yes, but in Canada you also have a legal notice, usually at the bottom of the page, that says you may choose not to answer such a question.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Canada Sep 21, 2005

This is something the federal public service will do, our version of the American affirmative action.

However normally the question is not "What is your race?" but rather "Do you consider yourself to be a member of a visible minority?" which is then explained as a person of colour, a perosn with a visible disability, or a woman. Sometimes they also ask if the applicant is a member of Canada's First Nations.

Again, I doubt this is legal in private industry; I think it ap
... See more
This is something the federal public service will do, our version of the American affirmative action.

However normally the question is not "What is your race?" but rather "Do you consider yourself to be a member of a visible minority?" which is then explained as a person of colour, a perosn with a visible disability, or a woman. Sometimes they also ask if the applicant is a member of Canada's First Nations.

Again, I doubt this is legal in private industry; I think it applies onbly to public service positions, and as Maria stated above, this section of the application is clearly marked "Optional".

Nancy
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Missing the point? Sep 21, 2005

Are we talking here about an application for a salaried position? If so, it may or may not be appropriate/legal in some countries to ask about your race or ethnicity. If we're talking about a freelance translator selling translation services, it's nothing short of ridiculous.

Marc

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yep Sep 21, 2005

avrvm wrote:

human...

Would have been my guess too. I haven't met many Martians lately. In an internet based business, who cares if you are Male, Female, Caucasian, Hispanic or Martian. The guys with there statistics, their problem. I find it discriminating, but I have to be careful, otherwise my contribution will be judged as being political and the thread is going to be closed.

HUMAN is IMO the only correct answer. Thanks avrvm.

Kind regards
Siegfried

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Can this be true Sep 21, 2005

NancyLynn wrote:

"Do you consider yourself to be a member of a visible minority?" which is then explained as a person of colour, a perosn with a visible disability, or a woman."
Nancy

I like the "or a woman". You are not trying to sell us seriously, that women are considered a visible minority in Canada.

Please tell me that this was a joke.

Please....

Kind regards

Siegfried

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nip it in bud / my comments Sep 21, 2005

This is a sensitive issue, so I would like to say it before it happens: please everyone do not make personal attacks and keep all comments respectful.

My comments: The United States Government will ask your race on anything from job applications to tax returns to scholarship applications to census polls. The justification is often to offer equal opportunity to all no matter what your ethnicity. Private companies will do the same in fear of non-compliance with anti-discrimminatio
... See more
This is a sensitive issue, so I would like to say it before it happens: please everyone do not make personal attacks and keep all comments respectful.

My comments: The United States Government will ask your race on anything from job applications to tax returns to scholarship applications to census polls. The justification is often to offer equal opportunity to all no matter what your ethnicity. Private companies will do the same in fear of non-compliance with anti-discrimmination laws.

If it was a U.S. company that asked what your race was then it was a legitimate question, in the eyes of the United States Government.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Sorry, not my idea Sep 21, 2005

sarmb wrote:

NancyLynn wrote:

"Do you consider yourself to be a member of a visible minority?" which is then explained as a person of colour, a perosn with a visible disability, or a woman."
Nancy

I like the "or a woman". You are not trying to sell us seriously, that women are considered a visible minority in Canada.

Please tell me that this was a joke.

Please....

Kind regards

Siegfried

It's the government`s way of ensuring equality in the workplace. Believe it or not, even in 2005 women are discriminated against. I'm a woman, too, you know! I'm just stating the facts.

Nancy

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
It's no joke... Sep 21, 2005

As stated by Edward and Nancy, this could be a compliance issue as women are (like visible minorities) underrepresented in a number of fields. Many companies are now taking this issue into account in their Corporate Social Responsibility strategies. Although I don't see what this would have to do with freelance translators.

Regards,
Sara

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:44
English to German
+ ...
Nowadays it is obsolete.. Sep 21, 2005

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:
Is it normal for an agency to ask us for our "RACE"?...

They might have a legal interest in knowing whether you are a purebred collie, a german sheepdog or any bastard (like I have been asked whether I was a duck or a goose).

60 years ago in Germany, they would have asked you also for the races of your grandparents, and you were obliged to bring evidence - or get burned.

So you can consider this question as a modest sign of progress..

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:44
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I understand Sep 21, 2005

It's an American company.

I'm not applying for an in-house position. They only want to know more data about myself. I only did a small paid test for them last year, based on a CV I had previously sent.

Anyway, I'm still shocked with the question and I don't quite know what to answer. "White?" Do we really say that in English?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it normal for an agency to ask us for our "RACE"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »