https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/38423-translation_of_diploma.html

Translation of diploma
Thread poster: eva75
eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2005

I need one of my own diplomas translated into French from English. Would it be acceptable that I translate it myself or do qualifications normally have to be translated by certified translators(which I'm not)?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Where are you going to use it? Oct 29, 2005

The question on what is required for a translation would depend on where you intend to use the diploma, so you would need to ask the entity that will be receiving it.

If they require any certification of it, it would not look good at all for the translation to have been done by the same person named on the diploma, but you might be able to do it yourself and have another colleague sign off on it if they are willing. And of course that colleague's qualifications would be determined b
... See more
The question on what is required for a translation would depend on where you intend to use the diploma, so you would need to ask the entity that will be receiving it.

If they require any certification of it, it would not look good at all for the translation to have been done by the same person named on the diploma, but you might be able to do it yourself and have another colleague sign off on it if they are willing. And of course that colleague's qualifications would be determined by the answer to the first question.

In the USA academic documents typically do not need to be done by a certified translator nor does the certification need to be notarized, but they do need a sign-off in which the translator states that it is a true and precise translation.
Collapse

MichaelRS (X)
MichaelRS (X)
Local time: 09:39
Avoiding problems Oct 29, 2005

To avoid problems, just do it officially. Diplomas aren't usually all that lengthy, so it can't cost very much.

I had to do the same thing. I put it through an agency I work for, and he (nicely) said that he would just charge me what my colleague charged.

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is it heading for English uni? Oct 30, 2005

If its heading for a university or college in England there are several languages that no diploma, qualification or certificate needs to be translated from for application purposes. The exemptions include the usual European languages, French, German and Spanish for certain.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of diploma

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »