Test translation: serious or cheating?
Thread poster: Mark Xiang

Mark Xiang
Local time: 11:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 31, 2005

Once a time, I was asked to carry out a test translation. In response to my job biding, the outsourcer asked me to select one paragraph from a formal document and translate it into the target language (EN-to-CN). After finishing the test, I got no feedback even if I asked for their conclusion. I know that some others, possibly a lot of others, were asked to do the test in the same way. My conclusion was that the outsourcer was cheating the Freelance Translators to get free translation: they could ask tens of translators to do the test and it was quite easy to get all the passages translated. After that, what they needed to do was to do some copying and pasting job, and if it happened that they had some professionalism, pay some editor to get the job done and finished.

I am now meeting the same problem again. I know some others are doing the same thing because I see they are asking questions concerning the document at KudoZ.

I want to ignore this request of test translation. What will you do if you are in my shoes?

Do you meet the same problem? AND do you have any suggestion or comment?

All inputs are highly appreciated.

Mark

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-31 09:37]

[Edited at 2005-10-31 09:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you feel uncomfortable about it... Oct 31, 2005

All I can say is, if you feel uncomfortable about it, don't do it.

However, remember that while there might be a few dishonest people out there using tests to get people to work for free, asking potential translators to do a brief test is the easiest way for an agency/outsourcer to assess whether they can deliver the quality they've promised.

-Nora

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 06:01
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Recent job request on ProZ Oct 31, 2005

Just a few days ago there was a job request on ProZ - the usual URGENT job of few words (I think around 20-30) - and with the request that "applicants must translate the following...". Well, strangely enough the number of words in the test translation that applicants should do before being taken into consideration was exactly the number of words in the job.

If the box "applicants must translate" is active you cannot send your bid without doing the test translation.

I decided just to write in the test translation box that "this seems to be the whole translation" - and received a kind reply to my bid that they had already managed to get the job done.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 23:01
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

You did the right thing Oct 31, 2005

Dinny wrote:

If the box "applicants must translate" is active you cannot send your bid without doing the test translation.

I decided just to write in the test translation box that "this seems to be the whole translation" - and received a kind reply to my bid that they had already managed to get the job done.

You don't have to do the test translation - the robot wants text in there, that's all. To put a short, polite comment does the trick.

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test translation: serious or cheating?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search