Would you register your details on an unsecure web site?
Thread poster: Rebekka Groß
Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:39
English to German
Nov 17, 2005

Hi,

I would like your thoughts on the following matter.

Today, I received an e-mail from a Spanish translation company inviting me to register my details via their dedicated online interface. I'd e-mailed them my CV in response to their call for CVs on proz.com last week.

I had a look at their Blueboard rating, which looked good, and their web site and proceeded to the registration page they'd send me a link for. As I glanced over the questions on the first page, I noticed that the page was not a secure page as there was no padlock or key icon in the status bar.

After this, I was hesitant to provide details such as my e-mail address, passport number (I'd never been asked that one before) etc. and decided to send them a message to find out if there was a secure way to register. There isn't.

Has anybody ever been invited to register their details with translation companies via an unsecured web site? Did/would you do it? I'm inclined not to use such a site, especially since they want my passport number as well.

And has anyone ever been asked to provide your ID card or passport number?

I look forward to receiving your comments.

Rebekka

[Edited at 2005-11-17 16:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I would not do that Nov 17, 2005

Nobody has ever asked me to leave my details on unsecured web-page and I would never do it. It is a sloppy business management, and if this agency could not care less for you provacy and data security, they would not make good clients in all other respects.
As to passport number, I have been asked this before once and declined to give out this info. Not that it is terribly confidential, but I do not believe anybody needs to know it. I am happy to provide my tax reference number, this info is relevant to business, but not the passport number.

Cheers,
Burrell

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
German to English
+ ...
Would you register your details on an unsecure web site? Nov 17, 2005

Rebekka Gross wrote:

After this, I was hesitant to provide details such as my e-mail address, passport number

I wouldn't give them my passport number on a secure site, never mind an non-secure one.

Marc

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
It would depend on how sensitive the requested data are Nov 17, 2005

Hi there,

If they'd ask me for information that is already public via, say, my ProZ profile, I wouldn't mind.

As for the passport, in order to issue invoices in Spain, you need to have what is called a fiscal ID number (Número de Identificación Fiscal -NIF-). The NIF is the very same number as your national ID card's, so I guess that's why they ask for national ID/passport number. I don't know if there's a need for them to know your ID number since you're working in the UK.

I just don't know if giving away your passport no. can do you any harm, though.

HTH,
Jerónimo

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Social security numbers Nov 17, 2005

are what are most often asked for in the US. It's a nine-digit number that is used for tax and identification purposes.

The problem is that social security numbers can be used in various (and nefarious) ways and are increasingly being abused.

I've started giving out only the last four digits when asked by a bank or telephone company (they do ask that). I notice that practise has become quite acceptable.

Giving out my passport number to anyone but the relevant authorities? Never! Too risky.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Provide public knowledge only Nov 17, 2005

Rebekka Gross wrote:
Has anybody ever been invited to register their details with translation companies via an unsecured web site? Did/would you do it? I'm inclined not to use such a site, especially since they want my passport number as well.

I would, yes, but only if the information is public knowledge. I would not fill in my ID number (see below) or my passport number in a web form, but if a human from a company which I know is a bona fide translation company replies and asks for my ID number, I would provide it (but not my passport number). It serves as a method of identification, after all.

In ZA, everyone has a unique identity number which is often required when registering for even the most mundane things, and it is accepted practice to provide that number.

Angus Woo
Local time: 20:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
I think you should never do that. Nov 17, 2005

I can't think of one single reason why a translation agency would need your passport #. This smells fishy indeed. Be extra careful! They need your passport # to fill out their tax report?

Personally I have never been asked to give out my passport # by any agency or by any client.

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everyone... Nov 18, 2005

...for your contributions so far.

The passport number is indeed a puzzling one, but what I am just as much concerned about is that their registration form is on a non-secure site.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
A bit late though... Nov 18, 2005

Hi Rebekka,

If your agency is located in Spain, as far as I know they need your passport number due to a regulatory requirement in this country. This has been my experience so far with Spanish agencies. However, I agree that you shouldn't give it away through a non-secure site, and needless to say, this is true for any other sensitive information.

Good luck!

Rebekka Gross wrote:

...for your contributions so far.

The passport number is indeed a puzzling one, but what I am just as much concerned about is that their registration form is on a non-secure site.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you register your details on an unsecure web site?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search