https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/39472-how_to_count_words_in_a_secured_pdf_file.html

How to count words in a secured PDF file
Thread poster: ALMERCANA
ALMERCANA
ALMERCANA  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 12:31
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 26, 2005

Hi all,
I recenly had to give a total price for a PDF file. So, while trying to count words the sotware couldn't get the number of words because the file was secured. I could neither copy nor convert the file!
What could be the solution in this case?
Please advise!
Regards, Nabil

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:31
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Contact your client Nov 26, 2005

Just grab the phone or send an email. Ask for a version of the file that can be accessed.

Options are:
- OCR, explained in numerous forums.
- Manual word count

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-11-26 15:09]

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
The only two ways... Nov 26, 2005

Options are:
- OCR, explained in numerous forums.
- Manual word count

I normally refuse to work with protected PDFs since I like working with a CAT tool. So whenever I get a protected file, I ask for an unprotected one, immediately. Funnily enough, many times I have received the unprotected file in a CAT-friendly format (i.e. Word), which even saves me the conversion.

PDFs are like photographs of pages. Even when they are not protected, they are tedious to convert.

I start considering raising my rates for PDFs, to cover the time it takes me to convert the document into an electronic format I can work with...

Kind regards,

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs

[Edited at 2005-11-26 16:28]

fareedeh ghassemi (X)
fareedeh ghassemi (X)
Local time: 15:01
English to Persian (Farsi)
select and copy it to word Nov 27, 2005

I don't know it is useful for you or not, but I usually select and copy it to word in a temporary file, and then use word count option in tools.

[Edited at 2005-11-27 12:28]

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:31
English to Russian
Try special word counting tools Nov 27, 2005

Try special word counting tools like AnyCount at http://www.anycount.com/ It is only $30 and counts PDF files as well as many other formats in batch mode (several files at once)and generates a report. It also counts in lines, pages and characters. Very useful. You can download it for 30 days trial for free.
Another way if you do not want to invest in such tools is to remove security protection from the PD
... See more
Try special word counting tools like AnyCount at http://www.anycount.com/ It is only $30 and counts PDF files as well as many other formats in batch mode (several files at once)and generates a report. It also counts in lines, pages and characters. Very useful. You can download it for 30 days trial for free.
Another way if you do not want to invest in such tools is to remove security protection from the PDF file (menu/File/Document properties/Security)/ If it cannot be done, ask the client for the password protecting the file.
Still another way is to try to save the document as RTF or DOC file. But if the document is protected with a password you will not be able to do that.
Collapse

monitor
monitor  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
two more ways Nov 28, 2005

The given answers are all correct. Best way still is to get hold of an unsecured pdf-file.
It's mostly very rare that you actually get a password to open a file.
There are some more ways to handle this.

a) Buy yourself a pdf password-cruncher (search on Google) in order to solve this problem permanently.
b) Buy yourself Terminotix (www.terminotix.com) in which you will find a defo
... See more
The given answers are all correct. Best way still is to get hold of an unsecured pdf-file.
It's mostly very rare that you actually get a password to open a file.
There are some more ways to handle this.

a) Buy yourself a pdf password-cruncher (search on Google) in order to solve this problem permanently.
b) Buy yourself Terminotix (www.terminotix.com) in which you will find a deformating tool that easily converts secured pdf-files into normal txt-files - and does more than that!
c) Use an older version of Acrobat Reader (4.0) where are this had been given for free. Just save the pdf-file under another name and you have it.
d) If you don't want to spend money on this at all, ask a friend who is equipped with the above mentioned tools to do it for you.

Kind regards
Marcel
Collapse

Diantha Guessous
Diantha Guessous  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
Member (2002)
French to English
target word count? Nov 28, 2005

When I've had that word count problem (PDF,paper copies) different clients have suggested or accepted a rate based on the target word count. Depending on your language pair, that may be higher or lower than the per source word rate.
Best Regards, Diantha G.

Oksana Kornitskaja
Oksana Kornitskaja  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:31
German to Ukrainian
+ ...
Try PractiCount Nov 29, 2005

PractiCount (www.practiline.com) should help you. If it does not work for your files, you can try to remove the protection first with Advanced PDF Password Recovery of Elcomsoft (www.elcomsoft.com) - this is a very efficient tool for such purposes.

Tom Bishop
Tom Bishop
Local time: 12:31
French to English
+ ...
Use AbracadabraCompteur Aug 10, 2008

Use AbracadabraCompteur - which is freeware available from http://www.abracadabrapdf.net/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=17

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count words in a secured PDF file

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »