What are the standard terms of business incl in client/translator contracts?
Thread poster: AminD
AminD
AminD
Local time: 23:03
English to Arabic
Nov 29, 2005

Hello,

I would like to know what the standard terms of business are in contracts. Are there specific issues which need extra attention, before signing a contract? How does it work..., do translators (especially Free-Lancers) create sometimes their own contracts? What if there's only a verbal contract? What if one party breaks the contracts?

I hope I will get many answers. I am a Translation student, working on my final project and this forum already gave me much insight
... See more
Hello,

I would like to know what the standard terms of business are in contracts. Are there specific issues which need extra attention, before signing a contract? How does it work..., do translators (especially Free-Lancers) create sometimes their own contracts? What if there's only a verbal contract? What if one party breaks the contracts?

I hope I will get many answers. I am a Translation student, working on my final project and this forum already gave me much insight in the world of translation!

Thanks in advance.

With regards,
Amin
Collapse

de-ru-es-en
de-ru-es-en  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:03
Russian to German
+ ...
Standard contracts for freelancers, various issues on creating contracts Nov 29, 2005

AminD wrote:
I would like to know what the standard terms of business are in contracts.

Many translators associations issued a standard contract. Have a look there. Many issues depend on different legal systems of different countries.

AminD wrote:
Are there specific issues which need extra attention, before signing a contract?

Too many for a forum reply.
Many single issues have been discussed even in this forum.
E.g. deadlines for submitting source text to you and returning, inquiries of additional work, quality issues (by unserious consumers being used to reduce the price), inquiries for improvement after delivery, immaterial damages resulting of bad trl., costs of money transfers, method of payment, what happens in case of illness, or if the text contains "bad surprises"

AminD wrote:
How does it work..., do translators (especially Free-Lancers) create sometimes their own contracts?

In my honest opinion a freelancer must be able to create his own contract, at least in order not to be cheated or misthreatened by consumers' contract and in order to know all necessary legal details (civil law) of the contracts one is signing.

AminD wrote:
What if there's only a verbal contract? What if one party breaks the contracts?

With some confiable clients a verbal contract maybe super. With some less confiable clients even the best written contract may become a horror. There is no patent solution.

Please, consider, in many countries an e mail without an approved electronic digital signature is not considered as a written document.

Regards and good luck,
Burkhard Ziegler
http://www.tilts.de

ENGSOL
ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
Sample contracts Nov 29, 2005

Hi AminD,

This might not answer your question, but here are links to some contracts based on a sample contract from the American Translators Association. They might give you an idea of some of the things people put in contracts for translation services....
See more
Hi AminD,

This might not answer your question, but here are links to some contracts based on a sample contract from the American Translators Association. They might give you an idea of some of the things people put in contracts for translation services.

http://www.atanet.org/model_contract.htm
http://www.royfc.com/roy_contract.html

HTH

Thomas
Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:03
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Syukran katsiran Amin D Nov 30, 2005

In this forum, I just want to express my deepest gratitude to Amin, who has posted the question. Frankly, your question has led me to finding out the sample translation contracts that have been granted by Thomas. May God rewards him (Thomas, of course) for his kindness in providing us with very useful information.

[Edited at 2005-11-30 03:03]

AminD
AminD
Local time: 23:03
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your replies! Dec 7, 2005

Hello,

I want to thank Thomas and Burkhard for all the info provided. This is a great help to me. Hioyan, I am glad that you also think that the information is very useful.

With regards,
Amin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the standard terms of business incl in client/translator contracts?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »