To what degree is translation an accredited profession?
Thread poster: AminD
AminD
Local time: 08:39
English to Arabic
Dec 7, 2005

Hello,

I wonder what your opinions are about the following question: To what degree is translation an accredited profession?

Are there many translators on this forum who do not have a degree in translation? What do you think about the fact that many people who have no degree in translation, still can become translators without many obstacles.

Well, does a degree in translation automatically makes someone a better translator? I don't think so, myself.

Can someone who has very good foreign language skills easily become a good translator?

What are your thoughts about the current system? Would you like to see changes or do you think it is fine like it is now.

I am awaiting your answers with curiosity!

With regards,
Amin

Direct link Reply with quote

Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:39
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
You've got an awful lot of questions today! :-) Dec 7, 2005

- To what degree is translation an accredited profession?
- What are the benefits of Codes of Conduct?
- Legal protection for translators?

These are some of your questions posted today and, honestly, it sounds like an exam or college text! Is that so?

Obviously I'm NOT criticizing you here, just being curious.

Also, I truly believe you will get faster and nicer help from professional translators if you state your needs clearly, all at once. None here will refuse to provide you with whatever information you might need, even if you state these are indeed ready-made questions.

Good luck!
Zyntia.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quick reply Dec 7, 2005

Based on my experience in my area (US-Mexico)

1.- To what degree is translation an accredited profession?
A rather low degree, as for most work none is required.

2.- Are there many translators on this forum who do not have a degree in translation? What do you think about the fact that many people who have no degree in translation, still can become translators without many obstacles.
There you would have to take a survey, but yes, we can still become translators with a lot of self-study, and there are few restrictions.

3.- Well, does a degree in translation automatically makes someone a better translator? I don't think so, myself.
I don't think so either, but all education helps.

4.- Can someone who has very good foreign language skills easily become a good translator?
It can be done, but it's not easy, that's for sure.

5.- What are your thoughts about the current system? Would you like to see changes or do you think it is fine like it is now.
That's a big one. No, it's not fine like it is now. And there also must be a higher regard for our profession and better pay.

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
FIT Certification Study Dec 7, 2005

at: http://www.atanet.org/acc/FIT_Survey_Report.pdf

should answer at least the question

What do you think about the fact that many people who have no degree in translation, still can become translators without many obstacles.

Perfectly normal.

Well, does a degree in translation automatically makes someone a better translator?

I don't think anybody, anywhere could produce any sort of objective, impartial evidence that would stand up in court to support an affirmative answer to that question. Not a snowball's chance in hell, in fact.

Robin

Silvia De Santis  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
A COMBINATION OF SKILLS AND EDUCATION, Dec 7, 2005

I guess. At least, that's my opinion.

First of all, let me say hello to everybody out there in this hard but indeed rewarding profession. This is my first participation in proz, although I must admit I've been visiting the site for some months now.

Now, back to the original topic, I must say that to me translation is a never-ending passion which entails language mastery, continuing education and working experience out in "the real world", which is where our clients come from. Although there may be some exceptions to this, I consider that most of these elements are necessary to become a good translator (and here the question is, are we talking about good translators?).

Have a great evening!

Silvia

AminD
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Peccelin's comments Dec 8, 2005

Hi,

Peccelin wrote: "These are some of your questions posted today and, honestly, it sounds like an exam or college text! Is that so?"

Well, Peccelin it is not directly a college text or an exam. I am researching the environment of the translator as part of a course during the last year of my translation study. I am using many ways to learn more about this subject and I got much benefit from this forum, because the best impression you get is from people with experience in translating!! These were just some points which I want to research, not by just reading articles and books about translation. This is also not only part of my project. I really need to know more about the 'world of translators', because I like to become a translator.

I hope this answers your questions.

With regards,
Amin

AminD
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Great link! Dec 8, 2005

Hello,

Thanks to all for your answers!
RobinB the link you posted is very very interesting, thank you very much.

With regards,
Amin

Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Thanks then :-) Dec 8, 2005

Yes, that answers my question, thanks!
Zyntia.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search