Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:49
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jan 8, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I normally do not pond over every single email I receive however this time I received a very strange mail indeed. The text is following:

dear ines
We will require your services as a translator in london, UK. Our
> director is coming over with 2 management team members and they speak
> more of russian than english. We want to purchase a property to
> serve as our corporate office in london, England.
>
> Please signify your interest and take note that your services is
> required for 6 hours daily for 6 days. Feeding and transport expenses
> will be paid for daily. Please signify your intention for the
> service so that we can discuss asap.
>
> Thanks
>
> john..

And right after this mail I received another email from the same John addressed to John, the text was identical, except that abovementioned people spoke more of French than English. Must have been sent by mistake to my address.
Also the email address does not say a lot: john_(last name)@email.com.
The is no indication of the company, I have never heard of this John before. Being a polite person I would normally respond even if I have no intention of accepting the offer and if the other person is not polite enough as in this case. However this is such a strange case that I am even not even sure I should reply. No idea what bad things can happen, but that is why I am posting this here - what would you do? Does it sound like some scam, what scam? Basically I am just very curious.

Ines

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just one of the many scams flooding the internet Jan 8, 2006

Hi Ines,

Leave it be, as this is 'just' one more scam.
Enter e.g. 'Interpreter scam' in the ProZ.com Search box and have a look at previously posted similar threads.

But do stay away from it!

[Edited at 2006-01-08 14:26]

avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Leave it Jan 8, 2006

Yes, I agree with Evert. However, I receive one or two scams daily, but no one has offered me "feeding" yet.

Lise Berthiaume
Canada
Local time: 23:49
English to French
I agree with the comments Jan 8, 2006

This is so strange, so I would keep away from that.

Bianca AH  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Scam Jan 8, 2006

Sounds like they slipped up by sending you another email with a new language combination. Whoops!

;o)

Debora Villa
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
I got a similar one! Jan 8, 2006

Lise Berthiaume wrote:

This is so strange, so I would keep away from that.

Hi there, I got a similar one not long ago (in the UK) and it turned out to be a scam, I suggest you ignore it.

Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
It smells Jan 8, 2006

I'd disregard it.

Have a nice day!

[Edited at 2006-01-08 17:03]

John Cooke  Identity Verified
French to English
Definitely a scam Jan 9, 2006

Burrell wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I normally do not pond over every single email I receive however this time I received a very strange mail indeed. The text is following:

dear ines
We will require your services as a translator in london, UK. Our
> director is coming over with 2 management team members and they speak
> more of russian than english. We want to purchase a property to
> serve as our corporate office in london, England.
>
> Please signify your interest and take note that your services is
> required for 6 hours daily for 6 days. Feeding and transport expenses
> will be paid for daily. Please signify your intention for the
> service so that we can discuss asap.
>
> Thanks
>
> john..

And right after this mail I received another email from the same John addressed to John, the text was identical, except that abovementioned people spoke more of French than English. Must have been sent by mistake to my address.
Also the email address does not say a lot: john_(last name)@email.com.
The is no indication of the company, I have never heard of this John before. Being a polite person I would normally respond even if I have no intention of accepting the offer and if the other person is not polite enough as in this case. However this is such a strange case that I am even not even sure I should reply. No idea what bad things can happen, but that is why I am posting this here - what would you do? Does it sound like some scam, what scam? Basically I am just very curious.

Ines

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well known scam Jan 9, 2006

Here is how it works:

They will contract you for 6 days at your full rate. The will advance you a certified draft for the full amount, plus meal expenses.

After you have deposited the draft in your bank, the client will say they have received notice that they must return back to their country on an emergency. They will ask you to reimburse them for the excess time paid, letting you keep an small amount for your troubles.

Thinking that a certified draft is as good as money, most people will give the money back, only to find out weeks later that the certfied draft was bogus, and that your bank will deduct that amount from you account.

This is well documented in the ATA site.

Stay away.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, everybody! Jan 9, 2006

I did not realise it was the same as Nigerian scam. For some reason I thought you should only receive letters about bishops of Ghana and their foreign wives and small children.

Thanks a lot indeed!

Silvina Jover-Cirillo
United States
Local time: 23:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pastors are around too.... Apr 13, 2006

Burrell wrote:

I did not realise it was the same as Nigerian scam. For some reason I thought you should only receive letters about bishops of Ghana and their foreign wives and small children.

Thanks a lot indeed!

I got this email today:

I am Mrs. Karen Jones.Am an English speaking pastor from Spain but based in UK where i reside. I will be coming over to Las Vegas NV OK , on holidays from 20th april to 24th of april 2006 for a 4 days Vacation with my Spanish husband, daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively. My husband Mr.tery Jones only speaks Spanish. We will require the services of a Spanish interpreter for just 3 hours daily, 1pm to 4pm, for 4days, though this will be flexibly to suit both parties, because i will not always be with them on most occasions due to other functions which I most attend.Payment will be made in advance of our intend visit, so He can be assured of an interpreter during his shopping and sightseeing, as this is his first visit to USA.An early reply will be appreciated. Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and give me a price quote, so we can conclude on all other arrangemnts and modalities ASAP.

Remain Blessed,
Mrs.Karen Jones
Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Sender's email address: Karen Jones [karen_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk]

And this one on Feb 26:

I am Mr. David.Am an English speaking pastor from Spain but based in UK where i reside. I will be coming over to Las Vegas NV on holidays from 16th march to 20th of march 2006 for a 7 days Vacation with my Spanish wife, daughter and son of the ages of 3 and 5 respectively. My wife Mrs.Catherin only speaks Spanish. We will require the services of a Spanish interpreter for just 5 hours daily, 1pm to 6pm, for 7 days, though this will be flexibly to suit both parties, because i will not always be with them on most occasions due to other functions which I most attend.Payment will be made in advance of our intend visit, so she can be assured of an interpreter during her shopping and sightseeing, as this is her first visit to USA.An early reply will be appreciated. Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and give me a price quote, so we can conclude on all other arrangemnts and modalities ASAP.

Remain Blessed,
Mr. David

Sender's email address: david seal [davidseal_james@yahoo.com]

I just posted this on a separate topic in this forum......I fell for the first one but, today, I asked the people for 200 dollars per hour!!!! LOL. If they want to send me a check, I would be more than happy to cash it!!!!

Take care!
Silvina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange email

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search