WinAlign: how to set a rate per segment?
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 15, 2006

I have been asked to give a quote for alignment job with WinAlign and the client asked me to set per segment rate instead of per hour rate.
Please advise how can I calculate it.
So far I know the number of segments (not words) and have source text for reference.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Calculate an average Feb 15, 2006

Hi,

If you know the number of segments and have the source texte, you should be able to calculate the average number of words per segment, provided you can count the words in the source text of course.

For example, you have 150 segments and the source text has 1500 words, then you have an average of 10 words par segment. You can then charge 10 times your rate per word for one segment.

I find it curious, though... alignment may be very cumbersome and I pref
... See more
Hi,

If you know the number of segments and have the source texte, you should be able to calculate the average number of words per segment, provided you can count the words in the source text of course.

For example, you have 150 segments and the source text has 1500 words, then you have an average of 10 words par segment. You can then charge 10 times your rate per word for one segment.

I find it curious, though... alignment may be very cumbersome and I prefer to charge per hour.

HTH,
Sylvain
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I have no experience in this regard... Feb 15, 2006

I have been asked to give a quote for alignment job with WinAlign

...and would be welcome to know how it turned out. WinAligning may be a horrible job to do...

Hint: check for false positives on segment separators (in one case I had colon appearing in the wrong places...)

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how to Feb 16, 2006

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Well, I think it's too high to charge for simple alignment of a segment the same rate I would charge for its translation.

So I just calculated from my previous experience: divided quantity of segments in previous job by total number of hours - this gives me quantity of segments I do in one hour. And since I have my hourly rate, I can calculate rate per one segment.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
OK Feb 16, 2006

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Well, I think it's too high to charge for simple alignment of a segment the same rate I would charge for its translation.

So I just calculated from my previous experience: divided quantity of segments in previous job by total number of hours - this gives me quantity of segments I do in one hour. And since I have my hourly rate, I can calculate rate per one segment.

That's a good way too!
I see now that I was not clear enough in my posting : I meant your proofreading rate per word (mine is about 1/3 of my translation rate per word, though I prefer to charge per hour for proofreading too...).

Best regards,
Sylvain

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Feb 16, 2006

Sylvain Leray wrote:
I meant your proofreading rate per word (mine is about 1/3 of my translation rate per word

The point is that the client doesn't need any proofreading so it's only a moment I need to connect one segment to another and the rate I got is lower than 10 times my proofreading rate...

Even when I had to join 2 segments or divide 1 into 2, it was really a moment to do this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign: how to set a rate per segment?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »