Should I offer to sell or give a glossary ?
Thread poster: Evelyna Radoslavova
Evelyna Radoslavova
Evelyna Radoslavova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:07
English to French
+ ...
Oct 26, 2001

I am working on a large project for an agency, where the end client is a non-governmental organisation.

The subject matter is quite specific, and I did a lot of terminology research. As a result, I would be able to compile a glossary to be used in future jobs for this end client, as well as for a host of related organisations.

My question is: how should I offer this. Compiling the glossary after I finish the project would involve about 3 or 4 hours of w
... See more
I am working on a large project for an agency, where the end client is a non-governmental organisation.

The subject matter is quite specific, and I did a lot of terminology research. As a result, I would be able to compile a glossary to be used in future jobs for this end client, as well as for a host of related organisations.

My question is: how should I offer this. Compiling the glossary after I finish the project would involve about 3 or 4 hours of work. If this agency was an longstanding client, I would maybe offer it as a Christmas gift. However, this is only my second job with them (payment for the first one isn\'t even due) and the relationship is not yet on such a friendly level

Should I: 1. ask them whether they would like to order the glossary and pay for the work involved? 2. hang on to the glossary, but mention that I have it and would be ready to use it in any further jobs? 3. ...?

On another level: if I post this glossary on my website or offer it to another client, are there any copyright issues to be considered? Contracts sometimes specify that any glossaries compiled during a project belong to the agency, but my contract with this agency doesn\'t.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-26 11:45 ]
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 23:07
English to German
Glossaries developed during a project Oct 26, 2001

Quote:

Should I: 1. ask them whether they would like to order the glossary and pay for the work involved? 2. hang on to the glossary, but mention that I have it and would be ready to use it in any further jobs? 3. ...?

On another level: if I post this glossary on my website or offer it to another client, are there any copyright issues to be considered? Contracts sometimes specify that any glossaries compiled during a pro... See more
Quote:

On another level: if I post this glossary on my website or offer it to another client, are there any copyright issues to be considered? Contracts sometimes specify that any glossaries compiled during a project belong to the agency, but my contract with this agency doesn\'t.

Evelyna,

although your contract may not state specifically, that the glossary is included, I would recommend that you check the confidentiality agreement with the Translation service. Quite a few of these agreements have clauses pertaining to the agency having ownership of all material related to the project given and that is maybe the reason why this was not included into the contract.

As for the agency, I would definitely mention that you have this glossary, because if terminology exists and is approved already, your chances of getting more assignments from the same company rise.

Uwe ▲ Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:07
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sample contracts posted here Feb 26, 2002

Hi Evelyna,

I posted some sample contracts a couple of months ago in this same forum (page 2):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=2127&topic=318&forum=19&6

Good luck
[addsig]

isthmian
isthmian
Local time: 23:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sell it! Mar 25, 2002

Sell it! You are the creator, not the document client.

[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I offer to sell or give a glossary ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »