Certification of Immigration Documentation
Thread poster: Yasmin Cespedes

Yasmin Cespedes  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:09
Mar 31, 2006

Does anyone know the law regarding whether a translator needs to be certified by the State in order to perform translations of birth certificates and adoption papers for immigration?

Or is it okay just to provide a certification clause at the end of the translation stating that the translation is complete and accurate to the best of the translator's ability and further certify that the translator is competent?

If anyone can advise me right away as I have to give an answer to a client on whether I can do this for them or not.

Thank you soooo much!

Direct link Reply with quote

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
What country? Apr 1, 2006

If you do not mention the country where the translated documents will be presented, I think colleagues will have a hard time trying to answer your question... have a nce week-end!

Aida Alvarez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:09
English to Spanish
In Mexico you need to be certified by the State Apr 1, 2006

In Mexico, you definitely need a State permit in order to translate documents for registry such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce and adoption documents, etc. etc.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well... Apr 1, 2006

All your profile says is that you're in the US. Rosa Ma. is right, it depends on the country. But in the US a simple statement as you mention will do the trick, no need for a notary or certification or anything.

In the US there is no official certification for translators at all that I know of, not even in Spanish, much less for other more "exotic" languages.

Even in my own case I am certified (by the US Federal Courts), but as an interpreter, not as a translator, though the job description does include translation if you look closely.

With such documents I mention those credentials but with a non-notarized statement. None have ever been brought back.

TOPIC STARTER
US Immigration Apr 1, 2006

I apologize the country is for US Immigration.

Henry, that is what I thought it was, just a plain certification stating that I am competent to perform such translations and that the translation is true and accurate. I just needed to make sure before I replied to the client.

Thank you both for responding so quickly!

-Yasmin.

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
certified translations Apr 1, 2006

In my personal experience (in USA) I had the need to have some documents translated for the INS...by someone else!

Anyway, they had to be certified by a notary.

In US it is a very simple procedure: any UPS store will provide this service for a small fee (I believe about 8 dollars..)

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
Your bank in the US Apr 1, 2006

will have several people who can notarize a translator's statement. I've used a simple statement saying that I am competent in the languages concerned and that I translated the text to the best of my abilities.

Officers at my bank have notarized it for free. Something in return for all those fees you pay for the privilege of banking with them!

TOPIC STARTER
Bank Response Apr 2, 2006

Good to know! Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to ask my bank if they can notarize it for free.

Thanks to you all who responded!

- Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification of Immigration Documentation

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search