Certification of Immigration Documentation
Thread poster: Yasmin Cespedes

Yasmin Cespedes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:34
Mar 31, 2006

Does anyone know the law regarding whether a translator needs to be certified by the State in order to perform translations of birth certificates and adoption papers for immigration?

Or is it okay just to provide a certification clause at the end of the translation stating that the translation is complete and accurate to the best of the translator's ability and further certify that the translator is competent?

If anyone can advise me right away as I have to give an answer to a client on whether I can do this for them or not.

Thank you soooo much!


Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:34
What country? Apr 1, 2006

If you do not mention the country where the translated documents will be presented, I think colleagues will have a hard time trying to answer your question... have a nce week-end!


Aida Alvarez  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:34
English to Spanish
In Mexico you need to be certified by the State Apr 1, 2006

In Mexico, you definitely need a State permit in order to translate documents for registry such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce and adoption documents, etc. etc.


Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well... Apr 1, 2006

All your profile says is that you're in the US. Rosa Ma. is right, it depends on the country. But in the US a simple statement as you mention will do the trick, no need for a notary or certification or anything.

In the US there is no official certification for translators at all that I know of, not even in Spanish, much less for other more "exotic" languages.

Even in my own case I am certified (by the US Federal Courts), but as an interpreter, not as a translator, though the job description does include translation if you look closely.

With such documents I mention those credentials but with a non-notarized statement. None have ever been brought back.


Yasmin Cespedes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:34
US Immigration Apr 1, 2006

I apologize the country is for US Immigration.

Henry, that is what I thought it was, just a plain certification stating that I am competent to perform such translations and that the translation is true and accurate. I just needed to make sure before I replied to the client.

Thank you both for responding so quickly!



texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:34
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
certified translations Apr 1, 2006

In my personal experience (in USA) I had the need to have some documents translated for the INS...by someone else!

Anyway, they had to be certified by a notary.

In US it is a very simple procedure: any UPS store will provide this service for a small fee (I believe about 8 dollars..)


Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Your bank in the US Apr 1, 2006

will have several people who can notarize a translator's statement. I've used a simple statement saying that I am competent in the languages concerned and that I translated the text to the best of my abilities.

Officers at my bank have notarized it for free. Something in return for all those fees you pay for the privilege of banking with them!


Yasmin Cespedes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:34
Bank Response Apr 2, 2006

Good to know! Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to ask my bank if they can notarize it for free.

Thanks to you all who responded!

- Yasmin


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification of Immigration Documentation

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search