Interpreter Murdered in Darfur
Thread poster: Richard Creech

Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:21
French to English
+ ...
May 9, 2006

There is some sad news about an interpreter in the troubled Darfur region of Sudan. An angry crowd reportedly believed that the interpreter, who was working with the police, was a spy, and hacked him to death as a result.

For more details:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/05/08/darfur.talks/index.html

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:21
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
It's a shame but it goes with the job... May 9, 2006

Hi Richard,

All I can say, it's too bad that this should happen but under the circumstances, it is unavoidable.

I mean Darfur, Sudan is a war-zone, just like reporters, journalists, or soldiers for that matter.

This could also happen in Iraq, Afganistan, Timor Leste, Aceh (Indonesia) or other parts of the world where conflicts of such magnitude occurs. And where politics mix, another matter.

I guess as an individual one must be aware of such consequences relating to job description, but death...it's another matter. It lurks even if you are in your bed. This is a certain fact that we as individuals can never be certain.

Anyway, thank you for bringing this to the forum. It should be information for would-be-interpreter in a conflict zone.

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:21
French to Spanish
+ ...
Goes with the job? May 9, 2006

"I guess as an individual one must be aware of such consequences relating to job description..."

Nope, never, I've never be aware of such consequences!

Q.E.P.D.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends May 9, 2006

It depends on where you are working.

In some parts of the world the only language understood is that of the gun; in which case, all reasonable words in any language fall on deaf ears.

Magdalena Reyes  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translators for real understanding May 9, 2006

I agree with Henry... strenght and violence are the languages governing some areas and that is really dissapointing.

This problem was also exhibited on the film: The Interpreter with Nicole Kidman.

I just thank God i live in a pacific area... so far. And I hope our work as translators can help nations or minorities to understand each other.

Have a better day!

Magdalena

Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:21
English to Polish
+ ...
Real shame May 9, 2006

Harry Djuhari wrote:
I mean Darfur, Sudan is a war-zone, just like reporters, journalists, or soldiers for that matter.

This could also happen in Iraq, Afganistan, Timor Leste, Aceh (Indonesia) or other parts of the world where conflicts of such magnitude occurs. And where politics mix, another matter.

I guess as an individual one must be aware of such consequences relating to job description, but death...it's another matter. It lurks even if you are in your bed. This is a certain fact that we as individuals can never be certain.

True. 3 interpreters got killed in Poland in this accident http://www.pressinterpreter.org/node/270

Woud you ever think a job at homing pigeons exhibition could end up this way? I was interpreting several times at cat shows and never considered it dangerous.

Just makes you wonder...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter Murdered in Darfur

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search