Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:15
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 15, 2006

Hello everybody,

After messing around for two days with googlepages, which is a very easy way to build your own website, I can now proudly present my very own website at http://eymers.googlepages.com/

I would very much like to know what you, my colleagues, think of it.

E.g. Does everything function as it should? Are certain things missing? Is my English correct? What
... See more
Hello everybody,

After messing around for two days with googlepages, which is a very easy way to build your own website, I can now proudly present my very own website at http://eymers.googlepages.com/

I would very much like to know what you, my colleagues, think of it.

E.g. Does everything function as it should? Are certain things missing? Is my English correct? What would you have done different?

Thanks in advance for your reaction!

Hester
Collapse

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
congratulations Jun 15, 2006

Dear Hester,

I really like the graphic aspect of the site.

My little suggestion: in the main page you should change 'spezialed' with 'specialized'.

Warmest Congratulations and Good Wishes

Tex

italia
italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
perfect Jun 15, 2006

Hester
I like it very much. It really looks professional.
Hope I will be able to set up mine in the next months and by early next year at the latest:)))
Good luck & lots of contacts through your site!!!

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Elegant and right to the point Jun 15, 2006

Nice, sleek template stripped of the common "bells and whistles" that annoy more than please the eye.
Good luck!

Emanuela Ankrom (X)
Emanuela Ankrom (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Very nice and professional Jun 15, 2006

Dear Hester,

I really like your new website. It looks great!

I would have used a lighter shade of blue for the following text:

"English to Dutch. Translating, copywriting and editing.
Engels - Nederlands. Vertalingen, redactie, correctie en tekst schrijven. "

All the best,

Emanuela

Jonathan Faydi
Jonathan Faydi  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to French
+ ...
Simple... Jun 15, 2006

It's simple and that makes it nice!

What I don't like is the use of "we". Are you an agency or a freelancer?
I think, but it's only my opinion, that using "we" you lose the personal touch that the customer might be looking for...

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
It is Jun 15, 2006

very fast.

I prefer black fonts over clear backgrounds, but I think with this system you can change very easy this format every day if you want

Regards.

www.lenguatik.com

Alison Jenner
Alison Jenner  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
Looks good Jun 15, 2006

I think it looks good - as others have said, very clear!

One little comment - rather than saying "We are specialized in...", I would say "We specialize in..."

Alison

[Edited at 2006-06-15 13:56]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Critique Jun 15, 2006

Hester Eymers wrote:
After messing around for two days with googlepages, which is a very easy way to build your own website, I can now proudly present my very own website at http://eymers.googlepages.com/.[/quote]

The colour scheme is not ideal. You have a dark blue background, with bright blue letters and darker blue letters for your text. Not everyone would be able to read it.

Be careful of trying to align a background image with foreground text. I can see that you probably wanted your name and the dateline to be on the light blue background, but on my computer they are misaligned so that half of the text hangs over the edge of the upper background section.

The blue text used in the heading of the second page is much, much more legible.

Your site seems to have been designed for a very wide viewing window. I have a large screen but I do not have my browser maximised, and your navbar at the bottom of the second page wraps (so that "contact" is not at the right-hand edge of the window; instead it is directly below the "home" link at the left-hand edge of the window).

You have a link on one of the pages "vorige pagina" (previous page), but this assumes that I have read your web site's pages in a certain order. I have, in fact, not read it in that order, and clicking "previous page" does not take me back to the previous page -- it takes me "back" to some other page. I suggest you use the same navbar at the bottom of all pages (and don't bother with a "previous page" link -- most users know what their browser's backbutton is for).

If you do have a "home" link, don't link it back to the splash page of your site. Instead, the "home" link should take the visitor back to the logical first page of the pages in that language.

Other than that, it is a good first effort. Well done!

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Looks professional Jun 15, 2006

Hi Hester,

I like your site, but would like to be able to get all the different links on every page.

Astrid

Heather Chinchilla
Heather Chinchilla
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
A little editing... Jun 15, 2006

Your website looks very nice. I also like the fact that it's simple and easy to use. Congratulations on getting it set up, and I hope it helps you to grow your business!

The only thing I would suggest is to have a native English speaker edit it for you. It really wouldn't cost that much, as there aren't a lot of words on the site, but it would make a huge difference and almost certainly help you to increase your income.

As a translator, you are a language professional,
... See more
Your website looks very nice. I also like the fact that it's simple and easy to use. Congratulations on getting it set up, and I hope it helps you to grow your business!

The only thing I would suggest is to have a native English speaker edit it for you. It really wouldn't cost that much, as there aren't a lot of words on the site, but it would make a huge difference and almost certainly help you to increase your income.

As a translator, you are a language professional, so you will be held to a higher standard than someone of another profession. Your website may be the first impression potential clients have of you, and even if English isn't your native language, the English in your website be native-like.

I hope you find this helpful, and I hope when I figure out how to design my webpage (something I've never done), everyone will be just as helpful to me!
Collapse

John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Really good ... Jun 15, 2006

Hester,

I would like to know how you did it? I mean: my level of creating a website is like that of a three year old tying his shoe. I don´t know where to begin. And if I pay someone it is going to be expensive.

Good for you !

John

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:15
English to French
+ ...
Congratulations! Jun 15, 2006

Well done Hester, it looks fab! I like the colours

I agree with everyone above.

Other thoughts:

I would not underline links. We intuitively know that they are links so I think they would look nicer if they were not underlined.

Your menu might be better placed on top of the page under your heading or on the left side rather than at the bottom which is not the usual place where I w
... See more
Well done Hester, it looks fab! I like the colours

I agree with everyone above.

Other thoughts:

I would not underline links. We intuitively know that they are links so I think they would look nicer if they were not underlined.

Your menu might be better placed on top of the page under your heading or on the left side rather than at the bottom which is not the usual place where I would look for a menu.

My 2 cents...

Good luck and a great weekend to everyone!
Collapse

Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Jun 15, 2006

Thanks a lot everyone for the positive feedback - very encouraging! - and for your critiques. I have already made some changes: the colours on the first page make the text more easy to read now (I hope!) and I have skipped the 'back' buttons and replaced them with more links, so you have every link on every page (Thanks, Elke, it makes sense!). I also changed the home button, thanks a lot for your comments, Samuel!

Some things can't be changed, like the underlining of the links and
... See more
Thanks a lot everyone for the positive feedback - very encouraging! - and for your critiques. I have already made some changes: the colours on the first page make the text more easy to read now (I hope!) and I have skipped the 'back' buttons and replaced them with more links, so you have every link on every page (Thanks, Elke, it makes sense!). I also changed the home button, thanks a lot for your comments, Samuel!

Some things can't be changed, like the underlining of the links and the alignment of the text. But I did my best on the first page: is it better now, Samuel?

I will get somenone to edit the English text, I had hoped it wouldn't be necessary, but it's probably better if I do. Thanks for the advice, Heather!

And it really isn't that difficult, not with googlepages, anyway. There aren't that many choices either, that might be a disadvantage, you can't build a really impressive site like that of Fernando with google, but for nitwits like me the simple building blocks are great!

Again, thanks a lot for your comments!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
More comments I Jun 15, 2006

Mitsuko Moine wrote:

I usually disagree with this sentiment (I say, links want to look like links), but if the only links you'll have, will be in the navbar, then you might make them as you wish. However, links within the text (such as your e-mail address) should look clearly like links.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think of my website?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »