Do you charge for quoting the translation of Web sites?
Thread poster: Claudia Iglesias

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:42
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jul 26, 2006

It took me some time to learn how to quote a website translation, and it takes some time to prepare a quote.
Very often the client says just: please send me a quote for translating
http://www.any_site.com/
and we have to deal with htm, html, asp, img, js, css... and many other formats we can find in a website.
There are the repetitions, we must take them into account, and so on.

Sometimes the site is small and it can be done in a few minutes but sometimes the site is huge and it's necessary to download the whole site, to analyze it with a tool like Trados to see the repetitions (I don't like discounts for repetitions but in a web site there are identical texts in every page)...
I send the quote to the client and I don't even receive an acknowledge receipt, not to say a "thank you" note!
I'm getting tired of this and thinking about charging, even if it's symbolic and it doesn't really represent the time spent on the quote.

What do you do?

Claudia

[Editado a las 2006-07-26 11:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
English to Tamil
+ ...
I go about it in this manner Claudia Jul 26, 2006

I tell the client that he has to provide the full website as word file. Once I do the translation, it is his job to incorporate them in the correct places.

Since I get doc files, no problem in quoting. The faithful PractiCount & Invoice will do.

As for identical paras, is the repetition our fault? Why must one reduce the rate for such things?

Or am I oversimplifying things?

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
What I do Jul 26, 2006

Claudia Iglesias wrote:
What do you do?

Since I don't give discounts for repetitions or volume, and it just takes me a few minutes to download even big sites, and just a couple of clicks to get the wordcount per file, and just a click to export the results into several handy formats of my choice, I don't charge anything extra for the quote. (*)

--
Dyran
(doing a 150,000 word website translation this month)

(*) When the actual work begins, the client has to either provide a CD with all the files that need to be translated, or give me admin privileges to access their website directly. Since I send back the translation as a fully-functional exact copy of their website, I do charge more than for plain vanilla translations.

[Edited at 2006-07-26 04:24]

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
files Jul 26, 2006

I don't charge anything for the quotation but I always ask the client to send me the full files (html, ...) otherwise there are always some links that you would miss to dowload on your own if the site is complex. After getting the files, I use Trados to produce a detailed count.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:42
English to German
+ ...
I don't charge... Jul 26, 2006

... to quote on a website translation, but I do remind my clients that they have to provide all the files for translation if they want me to provide them with an accurate quote, or otherwise I would have to apply my hourly fee for quoting.

So far, no client has complained about that, and they all provided me with the necessary files. It saves a lot of time.

Sonja

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:42
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Quoting for website translation Jul 26, 2006

I do not get a lot of website translations but if I do, I tell the client to send it to me as a regular Word file, just like Narasimhan said. Then the quoting is easy with a counting tool like PractiCount or evan Word itself.

I would rather not spend time and money , for example, to download a huge website.

Saludos Claudia desde
Suriname.

Lucinda

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Free quotes are the norm Jul 26, 2006

Claudia Iglesias wrote:
It took me some time to learn how to quote a website translation, and it takes some time to prepare a quote.

I think free quotes should be the norm. Even for complex types of documents, there should be a way to provide a free quote. For example, you can quote per word instead of per job. Alternatively you can quote different rates for different aspects of the job so that the client can get an idea of what he's likely to pay and how he can reduce the fee if he wants to.

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
I don't like quoting for websites... Jul 26, 2006

Especially as an agency, you take the time to put everything into one document (telling you they can't send the original files) and then they probably ask a freelancer with the document.

The next person asking will get quite a surprise because we are starting to make our quotes attached with a non editable or from a cat tool not readable text to ensure that doesn't happen again (of course if they give us the job the translator will get a clean text).

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Asking for Word files is nonsense Jul 26, 2006

Hi all,

For a large client, having to convert all readable text into Word, and later reconvert into web formats (html, php, js, asp, xml whatever) is just a waste of time.

There are suppliers and freelancers handling all these formats natively, so why should the client spend time to do this?

When I deal with a client it's as simple as this:

- There's no way I can give a binding quote based on just a URL and instruction to "download everything". Web sites are dynamic by nature, material changes, strings are fetched from databases depending on queries etc.
- Once I got this important message to the client, he will understand that the only way to make business is to provide me with static material (a zip of the whole site, over FTP, on CD or similar)
- When I have the material in my hands, I just drag all the files into Trados 7.5 and analyse them. This way I can provide a qoute with no sweat for me, and no unreasonable demands on the client.
- If Trados chokes on any unusual format, I get back to the client and we take it from there. Usually these files can be translated with import/export to a text editor.

Put yourself in the shoes of the client. If you have two freelancers, and one of them is asking you to convert/reconvert 100's of files into Word, while the other offers to handle this natively and return with a quote whitin an hour - which one would you choose?

/Jan

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Agree 100 % Jul 26, 2006

Jan Sundström wrote:

Hi all,

For a large client, having to convert all readable text into Word, and later reconvert into web formats (html, php, js, asp, xml whatever) is just a waste of time.

There are suppliers and freelancers handling all these formats natively, so why should the client spend time to do this?

When I deal with a client it's as simple as this:

- There's no way I can give a binding quote based on just a URL and instruction to "download everything". Web sites are dynamic by nature, material changes, strings are fetched from databases depending on queries etc.
- Once I got this important message to the client, he will understand that the only way to make business is to provide me with static material (a zip of the whole site, over FTP, on CD or similar)
- When I have the material in my hands, I just drag all the files into Trados 7.5 and analyse them. This way I can provide a qoute with no sweat for me, and no unreasonable demands on the client.
- If Trados chokes on any unusual format, I get back to the client and we take it from there. Usually these files can be translated with import/export to a text editor.

Put yourself in the shoes of the client. If you have two freelancers, and one of them is asking you to convert/reconvert 100's of files into Word, while the other offers to handle this natively and return with a quote whitin an hour - which one would you choose?

/Jan

Questions like. Can you take a look at www.blablabla0815.com and tell us how much would be cost?
is not serious, each site have a webmaster. He can prepare a CD or Folder for the translator.
Otherwise who is responsible if you do not translate some things or you don't find some parts?

And how is about Flash sites?

[Editado a las 2006-07-26 11:50]

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
I know it is nonsense... Jul 26, 2006

They are however some clients (probably with some CMS system) who are refusing to deliver you any file (they say they can't and that every other translator can count the words - why can't I? At the best they give me access to the files).

I have lost some offers trying to explain the client that I need a fix basis for the translation (and I am not giving a quote out of the blue - which a freelance translator could do because he is not loosing money himself if he miscalculated, only time).

Some clients are changing the file (expecting you to follow) DURING the translation, that's why the word file serves me as a basis for the quote, saying "I was translating for that, regardless of what online is now".

As a consequence, I am making a copy on word of all texts - which is sent to other transaltors who like above are asking for a basis and not counting the words themselves.

Once I asked the client whether the site was static or dynamic - they had no clue. Don't ask them to tell you what is going to be translated, they only answer - I just want a quote, you can see for yourself.

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Images, codes Jul 26, 2006

One other issue you might want to clarify with your client are the images. A typical website would have lots of images and a good number of them have text. You probably will have buttons and other command items as images, then you have gif animations, flash files, gif maps, .... and they may have text. I normally quote a higher rate per case for this part of the job because you have to edit the files in special software.

Also, you will have codes in dynamic websites that may need translation, for instance a java script may have been used to imprint date information on a page, ... in such cases you have to translate the texts within the scripts.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use a download manager if the client refuses to give you files Jul 26, 2006

Yolande Haneder wrote:

They are however some clients (probably with some CMS system) who are refusing to deliver you any file (they say they can't and that every other translator can count the words - why can't I? At the best they give me access to the files).

I have lost some offers trying to explain the client that I need a fix basis for the translation (and I am not giving a quote out of the blue - which a freelance translator could do because he is not loosing money himself if he miscalculated, only time).

Some clients are changing the file (expecting you to follow) DURING the translation, that's why the word file serves me as a basis for the quote, saying "I was translating for that, regardless of what online is now".

Once I asked the client whether the site was static or dynamic - they had no clue. Don't ask them to tell you what is going to be translated, they only answer - I just want a quote, you can see for yourself.

Some clients have trouble written all over their face, this is a typical description, I know...

But even with these unccoperative clients, there's hardly ever any point in taking the detour over Word format.

Just use a download manager like Star Downloader or Teleport Pro, go to the URL, and crawl over all the material to your hard disk.

After that, it's a piece of cake to zip all the files you manages to scour from the site, and enclose it with your quote.
This way you can simply tell the client: I'm going to translate the exact content of this very zip, no more no less.

/Jan

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It depends on the project, but... Jul 26, 2006

Jan Sundström wrote:
For a large client, having to convert all readable text into Word, and later reconvert into web formats (html, php, js, asp, xml whatever) is just a waste of time. ...

If the client wants to have his site translated into just one other language, then it may seem like overkill to convert everything to CSV or PO or even MS Word, but there is something to be said for that when he client wants his site translated into 20 languages. If there is only one translator, and if he screws up, the client might still be able to fix it (put in a late-nigher or an all-weekender, and vow never to use the translator again), but with 20 languages the number of potential problems when dealing with the source text directly can be more than the client is willing or capable to deal with. For such cases, converting everything to a simple format that can easily be bulk checked for mishaps, such as CSV (or if you have balls, then PO) can save the client a lot of grief.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you charge for quoting the translation of Web sites?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search