invoice - which format?
Thread poster: eva75
eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2006

Which is the preferred format for sending invoices? Word or pdf or other?

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:50
English to French
Up to you Jul 28, 2006

I send pdfs using Primopdf (free) that converts word files generated from TO3000.
I feel it looks more professional as many agencies I work with send pdf POs. But I have sent Excel invoices for years.

The thing is, try not to change formats every week, it would feel like you don't know what you're doing...

Have a good weekend,
Philippe

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
PDF, but... Jul 28, 2006

Dear eva75,

I might have missed some of your postings but in all your postings I've read you're rather mysterious about your country of residence, and so is your profile.

My normal answer would be: send PDFs with an invisable signature, because they can't be edited without losing your signature, something Word can't promise. But the real problem is that your country might not accept electronic invoices or has additional requirements.

Regards,
Gerard

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
What about faxing invoices? Jul 28, 2006

I have only just started working as a freelance translator and have just done a job for an agency that wanted me to use their own pro-forma invoice template. I tried digitally encoding it, because I needed to put my bank account details on. However, I ran into technical problems and ended up sending it by fax from my computer.

It occurred to me that fax might be safer than sending such information by e-mail.

I have previously used the invoicing facility on PayPal, but
... See more
I have only just started working as a freelance translator and have just done a job for an agency that wanted me to use their own pro-forma invoice template. I tried digitally encoding it, because I needed to put my bank account details on. However, I ran into technical problems and ended up sending it by fax from my computer.

It occurred to me that fax might be safer than sending such information by e-mail.

I have previously used the invoicing facility on PayPal, but this agency doesn't use PayPal.
Collapse

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pdf creator Jul 28, 2006

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I send pdfs using Primopdf (free) that converts word files generated from TO3000.

pdf creator also does a good job and it's free!

eva75
eva75
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Safer? Jul 29, 2006

Barbara Finch wrote:

I have previously used the invoicing facility on PayPal, but this agency doesn't use PayPal.

Well, since we send all our translations by email, I can't see any danger in sending invoices by mail.

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:50
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
I prefer PDF Jul 29, 2006

I prepare my invoices with Excel (well, actually OpenOffice's spreadsheet tool, but it's basically the same) and then send them as PDFs, because I find them easier to read than the excel file.

I always keep one excel copy / client, so that when preparing a new invoice, I have my own and the client's contact information etc. ready and only have to change the project details.

Rahdne Zola (X)
Rahdne Zola (X)
United States
Local time: 03:50
French to English
PDF is the way to go! Jul 29, 2006

Hi eva75,

I think using a PDF is the best way to go! Not only does it look more professional, but it's a great way to ensure that all of your graphics and fonts remain intact. If your invoice arrives and the agency or client opens it and fonts and graphics have messed up, then that will reflect poorly upon you. Using PDF is a great way to keep that from happening because it embeds all of that for you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

invoice - which format?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »