Thread poster: Alberto Orengo
Alberto Orengo
Alberto Orengo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:04
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 30, 2006

Hi, I will be travelling for two weeks in Italy for a client who needs general support, from booking appointments to consecutive interpretation during business negotiation. I will be basically travelling with him for two weeks taking care of any kind of linguistic issue and support. I'll be absent from home for about 10 days altogether. I have no idea about what I should charge. Should I charge as an interpreter per hour, and if so, how many hours? Should I charge for interpreting only for the... See more
Hi, I will be travelling for two weeks in Italy for a client who needs general support, from booking appointments to consecutive interpretation during business negotiation. I will be basically travelling with him for two weeks taking care of any kind of linguistic issue and support. I'll be absent from home for about 10 days altogether. I have no idea about what I should charge. Should I charge as an interpreter per hour, and if so, how many hours? Should I charge for interpreting only for the hours I'm actually actively interpreting, and then a lower rate for the rest of the time? How can I account also for the fact that I'll be working pretty much all the time for 10 days, and not being able to go home in between? I don't want to frighten the client away from future collaboration by charging too much, but at the same time, I obviously don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Collapse

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
One possible answer Aug 30, 2006

I would charge per day if I were you. Definitely not per hour, it is too complicated to calculate and not fair. Even if on some days, you interpret for, let's say only 3 hours, you are still away from your place and obviously not available for other interpreting/translation assignments. You don't want to waste your time. Moreover, from my own experience, long assignments abroad (or in a remote place) have always been a bit more tiring. Multiply your daily rate by the number of working days and t... See more
I would charge per day if I were you. Definitely not per hour, it is too complicated to calculate and not fair. Even if on some days, you interpret for, let's say only 3 hours, you are still away from your place and obviously not available for other interpreting/translation assignments. You don't want to waste your time. Moreover, from my own experience, long assignments abroad (or in a remote place) have always been a bit more tiring. Multiply your daily rate by the number of working days and then you may apply (up to you) a small discount on the total fee.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-08-30 13:29]
Collapse

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Per day and remember expenses Aug 30, 2006

This is definitely a per-day-rate case. As for discount, I would think twice: you will have to be available any time, any day, correct? I was on a road tour with an opera theater for 3 months and they paid me a weekly rate plus daily reimbursement for meals (the first amount taxable, the second one - not). It is also crucial to request medical insurance and check if it will work in all those areas you will be travelling to.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Make sure client pays for accommodation and any other related outlays Aug 30, 2006

Hi Alberto,

I agree with previous contributors that it'd be best to charge per day instead of per hour. In addition, make sure that your client pays for accommodation, travel and any related expenses on the spot, or at least reimburses these costs to you.

Steffen

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 19:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Per day Aug 31, 2006

plus everyday expenses.

I have done this before. It's better to charge on a per day basis. In my case, I didn't ask for insurance, for it was a job from office to office, so there shouldn't be much danger.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

business negotiation/interpreting/companion rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »