Changing rates from agency?
Thread poster: Anna Strowe
Anna Strowe
Local time: 14:49
Italian to English
Sep 10, 2006

Just a quick question. I responded to a job posting on Proz which posted a certain volume of work for x/word. I worked for this agency on this project this morning: friendly PM, interesting work. I've also been offered work for the next few days on the same project. However, in more recent emails about pricing and invoices/purchase orders, the PM told me that usually they pay per page (standard 1500 keystrokes/page), and offered me y/page instead of the x/word that was on the job posting. The PM said that they had put x/page because the job posting doesn't allow to post rates per page (which I know isn't exactly true). Now, both are good rates. However, y/page does turn out to be less than x/page, by almost 20%.

I have to answer by tomorrow early early to continue with the project. I'm inclined to accept the new rates (y/page) for any future translations even within this project, starting with tomorrow morning, but I'm feeling a little... weird about the whole thing. Any suggestions? Again, I am very happy to work at the new rates (y/page), but I'm a little put off by the change. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:49
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
GO ON ;) Sep 11, 2006

Hi Anna

I think you already started the job, no way, to save your previous effort you have to complete the project, i think being the agency trended this behaviour you can not modify because they were, or the PM, not clear from the first steps of the deal to explain his conditions. However, go on, complete the project, but plz keep all warranties that saves your due to gain the payment, and i see that you have to cut the deal with them for future jobs, except after receiving the first payment at least, then if they want you, they have to pay/word. I think x/word is better beacuse you can not guarantee may he compresses or minimizes the font size of each page to lessen the file's pages number to save money for his/her side.
Also, if you like to work/page, you have to put a spcial format for page that guarantee a good collective count for you to get your due with the lowest loss of effort and money.

I hope i did not bother you by my long sharing.

Thanks,
Regards,
Ehab

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
It is up to you to decide... Sep 11, 2006

... but I would not accept to work for them, regardless of the rate at this point. Their attitude seems unethical. What do I think will happen next? They will agree to payment in 30 days, and in 25 days they will tell you that they were mistaken and payment will be at 60 days. The situation makes me feel the agency is not trustworthy (not to say donwright unethical), and I would just not risk working with them.
Good luck!

Raghunathan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:19
German to English
you should insist for your original rate Sep 11, 2006

If you accept the revised rate, as Rosa puts it, it will give them a wrong signal to go ahead with a change in payment term at a later point of time. In my opinion you should not encourage such practices.

If you think you have done a pretty decent job of their earlier assignments, you can simply tell them that as a matter of policy you don't accept per page rate and want to maintain uniformity on the per word rate which you usually give to the other customers in the same region, etc. etc. In all probability they will come back to you again for this project.

Good luck,

Raghunathan

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Rate per page should work out the same Sep 11, 2006

...or there is something wrong with their financial skills.

I would either:
- state I only charge by the word, not by the page
- agree to charge by the page ONLY if this is comparable to the charge per word.

A 20% difference is just too much! There may be a small difference, but 20%....

Just to repeat the good old plumber comparison: say you hire a plumber at X/hour. He starts working, and then you say you will pay him by the day/work. Is there any conceivable reason this should be less than 8 times X for a full working day?
Just imagine his face if you told him you are now going to pay 20% less. Would your plumbing get fixed?

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-09-11 07:40]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Negotiate, negotiate Sep 11, 2006

Anna Strowe wrote:
However, in more recent emails about pricing and invoices/ purchase orders, the PM told me that usually they pay per page (standard 1500 keystrokes/page), and offered me y/page instead of the x/word that was on the job posting. ... However, y/page does turn out to be less than x/page, by almost 20%.

The client is attempting to renegotiate the rate, from a position of weakness. The rate per word has already been agreed to, and the client is bound by it. However, if the client prefers to pay by page, and if you can calculate the equivalent yourself, there is no reason why you shouldn't accommodate the client, as long as you are satisfied with the rate in the end.

You say that the new rate works out to 20% less than the original. Well, the course of action is clear, then: tell the client that the new rate is 20% less than the old rate, and make a counter-offer per page which is 20% higher than that of the client. Very simple.

Other posters on this board said that the client is behaving unethically, but I disagree. There is nothing unethical about the client's behaviour -- the client is trying to renegotiate the rate, but ultimately it's up to you.

Anna Strowe
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Misunderstanding. Sep 11, 2006

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

The question has been resolved, I think to everyone's satisfaction. Apparently I misunderstood and the PM was offering not a continuation of the project, which was completed yesterday morning, but another opportunity at a different rate. The first published rate of x/word applies to the first translations I did yesterday, and the new rate of y/page applies to the translations I have agreed to do today and for the duration of this new project.

Regards,
Anna

Lucica Abil  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:49
Member (2005)
Italian to Romanian
+ ...

Page Sep 11, 2006

Ehab Tantawy wrote:

I think x/word is better beacuse you can not guarantee may he compresses or minimizes the font size of each page to lessen the file's pages number to save money for his/her side.
Also, if you like to work/page, you have to put a spcial format for page that guarantee a good collective count for you to get your due with the lowest loss of effort and money.

Font size does not matter. A page means a certain number of characters, spaces included or not, as agreed. For example, the Italian standard page is a 1500 characters, spaces included, page.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing rates from agency?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search