Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:54
Member (2002)
English to German
Business Sep 21, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:
So I'm happy (ie. not guilty)

This forum is called 'Business issues'. I am sometimes not even sure if we agree that translation is actually a business.

Let me compare translation with another industry, say car manufacturers.
They try to grow so they can produce cheaper. That's called economies of scale. Not so different compared to us. If we translated a lot we might have more matches and in theory we could save money (by saving time which is our main cost).
But now there's guilt and that's the difference.
I don't think General Motors would lower its prices because it feels guilty that it did a good job by investing in advanced machinery and by realizing synergies.
They might only lower the prices to gain market shares but that's not the issue here.

Too much of a stretch? Ok, then let's compare to another service industry like consulting. What happens if a company gets exactly the same job they did a year before, like analyzing which legal entity is best in Europe for tax purposes? They will happily use their former results and sell them again.

Architects: Some got their standard blueprint for a one family home in the drawer and use it over and over again just modifying a few points.

Now it is becoming embarassing for us, but let's talk about writers: Do they feel a lot of guilt because exactly the same book is being republished in a different language and they get money again for it. Or hey, somebody makes a movie out of a novel, should the author really ask for money again, although he doesn't even have to work a single additional minute for this project? Wouldn't it make his client, the film producer, more happy if he gave him a 50% discount on his original fees?

Why do they not feel guilty charging the same price (although they have lower costs now)? Because they are doing business. They actually try to earn money doing their job.

Are we doing business?

Krys Williams
Krys Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:54
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
I agree this concerns business not ethics Sep 23, 2006

A further question arises here: if I inform an agency of repeat text in a job, I do not know whether they will pass any discount to their end client or retain the profit themselves. I will negotiate on discounts if I am asked to do this, but I think it is the responsibility of the project manager at the agency, not me, to initiate such a discussion. After all, this is part of what they are paid for. I am paid to supply a competent translation of a specific text. If I can find ways to streamline ... See more
A further question arises here: if I inform an agency of repeat text in a job, I do not know whether they will pass any discount to their end client or retain the profit themselves. I will negotiate on discounts if I am asked to do this, but I think it is the responsibility of the project manager at the agency, not me, to initiate such a discussion. After all, this is part of what they are paid for. I am paid to supply a competent translation of a specific text. If I can find ways to streamline my part of the process, that is not anybody else's concern.Collapse

Adrian MM. (X)
Adrian MM. (X)
Local time: 03:54
French to English
+ ...
Charge the full 'whack' Sep 25, 2006

A moral dilemma indeed. You have to consider why most lawyers in most countries - though clamouring for trans. repetition discounts - don't and won't use TMs, CATs and all the other obscure abbreviations and acronyms everyone is using.

With no conscience, they will just regurgitate past deeds and documents, as well as correspondence (as I have done!) with slight amendments and charge the unwitting clients the full wordcount and time whack.

Even if their attention is d
... See more
A moral dilemma indeed. You have to consider why most lawyers in most countries - though clamouring for trans. repetition discounts - don't and won't use TMs, CATs and all the other obscure abbreviations and acronyms everyone is using.

With no conscience, they will just regurgitate past deeds and documents, as well as correspondence (as I have done!) with slight amendments and charge the unwitting clients the full wordcount and time whack.

Even if their attention is drawn to the similarities by the same client who might not know about what has been dished up to other clients, they will still not allow a discount.

So, Conrado, you charge the full whack and let the agency clients/end-users query your bill.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ethical question

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »