Thread poster: Silvestro De Falco
Silvestro De Falco
Silvestro De Falco  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:05
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2006

Dear colleagues,
I just opened a paypal account but one of my US clients told me that "we do not do the Paypal invoices".
Can you think of a reason why?
Can you recommend a way for me to encourage them "to do Paypal invoices"?
Thank you for a reply.
Silvestro

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-10-25 10:27]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Paypal may be unwelcome by some customers Oct 25, 2006

Silvestro De Falco wrote:
I just opened a paypal account but one of my US clients told me that "we do not do the Paypal invoices".

Hi Silvestro,

first of all, Paypal is not an invoicing system and the answer from your customer is puzzling. If they used those words, as quoted by you, perhaps they don't know what exactly Paypal is and how it works.
In any case, some companies are very conservative about payment procedures and Paypal may just be not of their liking, or that of their administrators. They may prefer bank transfers or cheques to an Internet transaction, and there is nothing much we can do to "convince" them.
Using an Internet payment system, also, involves a greater degree or risk, and customers have the right to not use it, if they are not willing to run such risk. It is understandable, and their right.

Pleaes note that Paypal is handy for small payments but above 250-350$ a regular bank transaction starts to become more convenient.
Paypal not only applies a fee in terms of a percent on the total transferred sum, but for transfer to a different currency they apply an exchange rate which is less convenient than that usually applied by a traditional bank.
It's a kind of invisible fee, but for large sums it is hefty.

I use Paypal, when the client agrees, for some smaller jobs, and use the small total amount available for occasional Internet purchases, but I don't use it to receive payments for large jobs.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-10-25 10:41]

Silvestro De Falco
Silvestro De Falco  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
US Customer does not accept Paypal Oct 25, 2006

Thank you, Gianfranco.
I sent them a Paypal invoice (there is a template).
In fact, the total is less than $150.00. I figured I could use the sum to buy a few books.
Anyway, back to the check system.
Thanks again,
Silvestro

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Checks from US clients Oct 25, 2006

Hi Silvestro,

I agree with Gianfranco. And I'd like to add that in my experience many companies in the USA prefer to send checks. My bank in Germany charges about EUR 10 handling fees per check. If your amount is not really small (i.e. below USD 100 or 200) a check will be the more profitable solution for you.

Best regards,
Stefanie

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Send them a regular invoice Oct 25, 2006

They said that they do not want to pay a "Paypal invoice", this doesn't necessarily that they do not want to pay through Paypal.
In many countries if not most, invoices must have a number (from your books) and bear various legal mentions depending on your status, country etc.

I always send "regular" invoices and mention Paypal as a payment method - clients are not required to have a Paypal account any more, it can be used as a normal bank card payment system.

It d
... See more
They said that they do not want to pay a "Paypal invoice", this doesn't necessarily that they do not want to pay through Paypal.
In many countries if not most, invoices must have a number (from your books) and bear various legal mentions depending on your status, country etc.

I always send "regular" invoices and mention Paypal as a payment method - clients are not required to have a Paypal account any more, it can be used as a normal bank card payment system.

It depends on where you are, but I certainly **do not** accept checks in USD below $200 any more. My bank + the Bank of France take a total of E14.50 on each foreign check (and this is the cheapest bank in this country for that), and in any way do not accept to process checks in $ under a certain sum (around $80), which is variable depending on the change rate.
Obviously if they reject the check for that reason, they charge you for the rejection (about €35 last time) - even in case it is about a sum that was within the limits the week before.

To make this short, talk with your bank before accepting checks in USD.

There is still the solution of a wire/bank transfer.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Probably OT: How to arrange payment from abroad Oct 25, 2006

Oddie wrote:

It depends on where you are, but I certainly **do not** accept checks in USD below $200 any more. My bank + the Bank of France take a total of E14.50 on each foreign check (and this is the cheapest bank in this country for that), and in any way do not accept to process checks in $ under a certain sum (around $80), which is variable depending on the change rate.

Dear Oddie,

This may be a bit off topic, but anyway:

Paypal is not for free either (which I've learnt only recently). I hadn't used my Paypal account for years (due to their incredibly poor service).
Recently, I gave it to a US-agency (I'm based in Germany). I was charged a fee of about 20$ for receiving a payment of about 500$! (They charge 3.9% for payments from abroad, if you have a premium account, which I do (and didn't know before).)

I'm thinking of offering paypal payment in the future, but passing these 3.9% on to the agency/outsourcer. Does anybody do this?

Regards,
Erik

Florence Bremond
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Yes they charge Oct 25, 2006

Dear Erik

It's a bit off-topic indeed but international payment is an important question for all translators.
Yes certainly Paypal charges - but as far as I'm concerned the figures are:

Paypal: 3.4% + 0.25 Euro + 2.5% if it's from another currency - on average five days to get the money on my bank account, money can be spent the same day if the payment is through Paypal.

Bank (check): 14.50 Euros + 2.5 % - on average one month to get the money on my b
... See more
Dear Erik

It's a bit off-topic indeed but international payment is an important question for all translators.
Yes certainly Paypal charges - but as far as I'm concerned the figures are:

Paypal: 3.4% + 0.25 Euro + 2.5% if it's from another currency - on average five days to get the money on my bank account, money can be spent the same day if the payment is through Paypal.

Bank (check): 14.50 Euros + 2.5 % - on average one month to get the money on my bank account from the moment I give the check to the bank.

Mathematically, under 419 Euros Paypal charges less than the bank for a foreign check (3.4% of 419 Euros = 14.25 Euros) and the bank gets the better from 420 Euros on.

It depends on the banks so it has to be checked on a case by case basis.

Florence
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Common practice? Oct 25, 2006

Dear Florence,

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but anyway:

Is it really common practice that translators pay these costs? I have a German bank account, and my clients (mostly European, though) pay me by regular bank transfer at no extra cost for me. Maybe this is a specific issue for non-EU clients?
Imagine I order something in the US. The vendor would certainly expect me (as the client) to pay him the full sum, no matter what the costs for the monetary trans
... See more
Dear Florence,

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but anyway:

Is it really common practice that translators pay these costs? I have a German bank account, and my clients (mostly European, though) pay me by regular bank transfer at no extra cost for me. Maybe this is a specific issue for non-EU clients?
Imagine I order something in the US. The vendor would certainly expect me (as the client) to pay him the full sum, no matter what the costs for the monetary transaction are, which means I'd pay the purchase price PLUS banking fees etc. Why should we as translators behave differently?

Best regards,
Erik
Collapse

Florence Bremond
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Check vs transfer Oct 25, 2006

There are many financial translators who could be in a better position to answer this - but a check and a wire transfer are two very different things.

Yes, clients usually pay the expenses of the wire transfer. This is because it is paid at the moment it is sent, so they can have a receipt for their bookkeeping.

The expenses for a check are paid at the arrival, you can hardly invoice that and the client cannot have a written proof of this expense.

Certainl
... See more
There are many financial translators who could be in a better position to answer this - but a check and a wire transfer are two very different things.

Yes, clients usually pay the expenses of the wire transfer. This is because it is paid at the moment it is sent, so they can have a receipt for their bookkeeping.

The expenses for a check are paid at the arrival, you can hardly invoice that and the client cannot have a written proof of this expense.

Certainly a wire transfer is to be preferred over a check. There's no discussion about that when you're at the receiving end. It's just sometimes very complicated to send them (or is it just this post office/bank over here - they need to request the papers from the central office, it takes 2 days, and if you make a spelling mistake and want a second paper it takes 2 days more ...)

Florence
Collapse

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Sorry for more hijacking, but... Nov 2, 2006

efreitag wrote:

As far as I know, wire transfers within the Euro-zone are (or should be) mostly free, but at least my bank here in the UK charges for incoming foreign transfers, which of course the sender of the payment can't be expected to pay!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US customer do not acctept to pay via Paypal

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »