https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/59042-do_you_use_any_software_to_help_allocate_available_capacity_to_jobs.html

Do you use any software to help allocate available capacity to jobs?
Thread poster: Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:30
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 4, 2006

Hi all,

I was just wondering whether you ProZ.com members use any software that helps you plan your work based on a daily capacity you declare, and probably on some other optional factors.

Until recently, all the clients I had were 2 big localisation companies that gave me a steady flow of work, so managing my jobs was fairly easy.

Now, however, partly thanks to my ProZ.com Platinum membership and increased efforts to attract new clients through ProZ, I fin
... See more
Hi all,

I was just wondering whether you ProZ.com members use any software that helps you plan your work based on a daily capacity you declare, and probably on some other optional factors.

Until recently, all the clients I had were 2 big localisation companies that gave me a steady flow of work, so managing my jobs was fairly easy.

Now, however, partly thanks to my ProZ.com Platinum membership and increased efforts to attract new clients through ProZ, I find it increasingly hard to stay on top of both already committed and potential/upcoming jobs.

I would like to have software that:
- Allows me to enter standard daily capacity, e.g., 4000 words.
- Allows me to adjust the standard capacity for special occasions, that is, decrease/increase daily capacity on selected days.
- Allows me to enter jobs using dates and words (or other base unit of measure, the same that I use to declare capacity). For example, Job J1 of 8000 words will start on 6 Nov and end on 10 Nov.
- Distrubutes the job workload for each job based on available capacity (that is, capacity that is not already taken up by previously entered jobs), and tells me if I can accept the job without exceeding the standard capacity.
- If taking a job means exceeding the standard daily capacity for one or more days, the software allows me to decide whether I want to decline the job, or still take it and work at, say, 120% of my usual capacity for a few days.
- Provides a grapical representation of my workload against the daily capacity I declare, preferably with colour coding (e.g., red for the part of a day that requires capacity over the declared standard).

Question is, am I dreaming or does software like this exist?
Or can it be simply done in Outlook or other Outlook-like program?
Or should a freelancer be able to handle these things with simpler means?

Any thoughts, experiences, tips, etc. welcome.

Maciek
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:30
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Translation Office 3000? Nov 4, 2006

Hi Maciek,

Are you already familiar with Translation Office 3000? I am not sure if it meets all your requirements or not, but, when you enter projects, it creates a schedule automatically.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use any software to help allocate available capacity to jobs?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »