Agency requests translation memory
Thread poster: david angel
david angel
Local time: 12:30
French to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2006

I have been translating full time for three years, but for the first time an agency has asked me for the TM I used on the project, without offering any payment. I wonder how other translators respond. (The agency is a new client, incidentally, not one with whom I have built up a relationship). Any information would be much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why not? Nov 27, 2006

I think that's a reasonable request. I always send the TM I used in my project to the client without offering any payment.

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:30
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
TM Nov 27, 2006

Was this a new project which you created a new/blank TM for? or did you have an existing TM and used it for this project (how odd the chances may be).

In any case, even if you don't provide the TM the client could easily WinAlign the source/target files and create the TM on their own. So, when one has both source and target documents, delivering the TM is not a very special favor to do.

Timothy Barton
Local time: 13:30
French to English
+ ...
There's no reason why you should have one Nov 27, 2006

I use one big memory for everything. I can always extract based on the client and project values if I need to (or open the project, add an extra memory and export all segments), but I don't see why we should do this free of charge if it's not negotiated beforehand. But you might also want to do a favour to your client, if it's a good one.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
No skin off your nose ... Nov 27, 2006

davidangel wrote:

I have been translating full time for three years, but for the first time an agency has asked me for the TM I used on the project, without offering any payment. I wonder how other translators respond. (The agency is a new client, incidentally, not one with whom I have built up a relationship). Any information would be much appreciated.

Hi David,

As Rahi says, they can generate their own TM quite easily using the alignment function in Trados in this case (I noted from a previous posting you are using Trados, so assume they are too) - it simply takes them longer, so you're not really providing them with anything they don't already have or can't create themselves.

You're merely saving them time and not really giving yourself extra work.

If you haven't created a new TM for this job, and don't want to or are not sure about creating a new one, simply send them an uncleaned version and a cleaned version of your file on delivery. They can then run the unclean file through their Trados and create their own TM very quickly.

Otherwise, if you have a separate TM, export it into a .txt file and send that with your clean file.

There is hardly any time involved from your side.

If they weren't able to create the TM for themselves, then yes, it would be a different story - for which we could charge extra - but since they can, why not give it?

Hope this helps
D

[Edited at 2006-11-27 13:20]

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Another suggestion Nov 27, 2006

I would be very hesitant to send a TM to a customer, new OR old. I have set up different TMs for different types of work. For example, I have a general art TM I use for reviews, articles and catalogs. A lot of what's in there took me ages to research, so why should I give that up for nothing?
What you CAN do to help them out is send a cleaned file plus the uncleaned one, which they can clean up into whichever TM they prefer. That way, they get the TM and you may even be doing them a favor because they're not saddled with bits that may be totally unnecessary to them anyway.
Catherine

david angel
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Nov 27, 2006

Thanks very much for the opinions. The general consensus seems to be that no great harm is done, especially as so many of you have pointed out that the agency can use the materials delivered as a TM anyway.

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:30
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Exactly Nov 27, 2006

cbolton wrote:
I have set up different TMs for different types of work.

That is a fruit of your labour and I agree with you 100% if I ever have a TM like that, but I see no reason for not providing them with a TM (or a set of clean/unclean file) that only contains their own project.

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
TMs Nov 27, 2006

Don't give TMs which contain segments you translated for other clients!

Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
That is absolutely right. Nov 27, 2006

NMR wrote:

Don't give TMs which contain segments you translated for other clients!

You can create a new TM and re-clean up the .bak file (eg. trados "dirty file") , I think the CAT tool always make a backup file when you clean up your project, you have to change the file extension to its original format before you re-clean up the .bak file. Then you can send the new TM to your client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency requests translation memory

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search