Visible BB entries to clients in their profile
Thread poster: Saiwai Translation Services

Saiwai Translation Services  Identity Verified
India
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Dec 6, 2006

I think every professional translator who work with ProZ clients and got paid should make BB entry and make it visible in their profile.

Because usually when I select the translator on Proz I see the BlueBoard menu in their profile, but unfortunately very few translators show their Blue board menu in the profile though they can hide their client's name.

This help me to know that translator has worked with so many clients and they got paid (rating 5)because of their good quality.
I am talking in general. There may have some exceptions.

Regarding project history, I am not sure whether it is true!

Another option is to Show WWA

What do you think??

Direct link Reply with quote

Akoma
English to Russian
+ ...
a simple solution Dec 6, 2006

When you post your job (you're an outsourcer, right?), indicate that "only translators with visible BB entries need apply."

chinesetrans
Netherlands
Local time: 03:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
BB entry & reference Dec 6, 2006

BB almost likes the references. When distributing the references, someone has to be very carful. The refernece might not be willing to have his contact information released. So, BB entry is better in blank.

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:14
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No absolute truth Dec 6, 2006

In my opinion, absolute truth is impossible to find out. The three references - BB, PH, and WWA - only serve as a guide. It is up to the outsourcer whether they want to make one of them or all of them as the prerequisite for job application.

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Misunderstanding of what BB entry means Dec 6, 2006

Hi,
I feel some explanations here are needed. It is important to remember that Blue Board is a tool to evaluate *outsourcers*, not translators.
I think this statement is a serious misunderstanding:

Saiwai Translation Services wrote:

/.../This help me to know that translator has worked with so many clients and they got paid (rating 5)because of their good quality.

If I understand correctly your thinking, you would then conclude that a translator who gave rating 1 delivered poor quality? No, that's not correct.

Rating 5 means that the translator is willing to work again with a given outsourcer, and rating 1 means - that he/she is not willing. None, I repeat none of it, refers to the quality of translator.
Please read the BB FAQ:

"3. What are the conditions for making an entry concerning your likelihood of working again with an outsourcer?

You may only make entries for clients with whom you have worked on a project and to whom you have delivered work on time and without complaints related to quality. You may not make entries solely on the basis of negotiations, test translations, or other preliminary interactions.

If you have worked on a project with a client but were late or otherwise negligent in delivering work, you may not make an entry for that client."

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb&viewPage=faq#blueboard_clientreview

Please note the conditions for making an entry: "delivered work on time and without complaints related to quality" and if you "were late or otherwise negligent in delivering work, you may not make an entry" - thus, rating 1 means that the quality was good, but outsourcer failed to meet its obligations. The entries are reviewed by site moderators and we take down negative entries where there are translation quality issues.

So, please be careful when drawing conclusions about translators based on the ratings they gave to outsourcers- BB is not a tool to evaluate translators, but outsourcers.

The WWA, samples and Project History are the tools which provide you with information on quality of translators' work.

Best,
Magda

[Edited at 2006-12-06 15:58]

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:14
Spanish to English
Very well said Magda Dec 6, 2006

I was a bit shocked by the idea that a negative blueboard entry means that you are bad translator and so shouldn't be offered more work.

You explained the issue very well, thanks.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Sorry, but I see even more issues in your posting Dec 6, 2006

This help me to know that translator has worked with so many clients and they got paid (rating 5)because of their good quality.

-more BB entries mean greater experience
-translators who have had difficulty at collecting their money deliver poor quality
-translators are willing to work again with an outsourcer just because they pay...

are some wrong assumptions that the above statement implies.

Regarding project history, I am not sure whether it is true!

If you feel this way, what will make you sure about BB entries?

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:14
English to French
+ ...
I think that forcing translators to display their BB is a dangerous idea Dec 6, 2006

While I understand that in some cases the BB records displayed in a profile may be an indicator of how happy a translator's clients are with that translator, I don't think the fact that someone displays BB and the contents of their BB should be a factor in deciding whether you want to work with someone or not. I don't think that the fact that there are a few entries where the translator complains about not having been paid is at all an indicator that the translator delivers poor quality work or that they deliver late. If you start evaluating possible working relationships with translators based on this - you and the translator are in for some trouble.

Also, by requesting such excentric things in a job posting, you may have a bunch of people badmouth you - I probably would be one of them. If references, diplomas, project history, VID, resumes and portfolios are not enough of an indication for you on the qualiy and timeliness of a translator's work, then I don't think that forcing them to display their BB would help at all.

If such things were required in a job posting, I would denounce them. There are already enough excentric requests from outsourcers, including having to accept 90-day payment terms, having to work on PDFs with no extra charge for retyping the PDF in Word, etc. I think this suggestion would only add to that.

Oh, and as an outsourcer, sorry to say that you will have to take a chance on translators, just like translators HAVE to take a chance on outsourcers paying them for their hard work.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
CVs - a pet peeve Dec 7, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
There are already enough excentric requests from outsourcers, including having to accept 90-day payment terms, having to work on PDFs with no extra charge for retyping the PDF in Word, etc. I think this suggestion would only add to that.

Not to mention the requirement to send one's CV for each and every tiny 100-word translation, which I find utterly ridiculous, and therefore decline to do on a routine basis. In which other industry is this common practice?

{my apologies for straying slightly off-topic}

Saiwai Translation Services  Identity Verified
India
Member (2005)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not misunderstood Dec 7, 2006

Thanks to all for your replies!

I have not misunderstood. I know the purpose of BB entries very well!
I want to clear that I dont select translator ONLY with BB entry display. You may check our bb records of translators.
Off course I evaluate their translation experience and background.
What I think is BB entry display is the one criteria (NOT THE ONLY) to select the translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visible BB entries to clients in their profile

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search