Is it really regulated?
Thread poster: Harry Hermawan

Harry Hermawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:23
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
Dec 7, 2006

I got into the business of translation without much difficulties. During my days at university I started this 'career' with one thing in mind, I can still study and get money on the side.

Do you think this line of work should be regulated as such with other professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc.) ?

It maybe different in certain regions/countries.

Please enlightened me. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yes and No Dec 7, 2006

Hi Harry,

Really an interesting topic to discuss. In fact, this has been discussed before, however.
Here is the link of the past forum discussing the same topic.
http://www.proz.com/topic/58426?start=0&float=

Nevertheless, it does not matter. I am sure there are many other freelancers who were interested in the topic but had no chance to participate then.

Personally, my answer is Yes and No.

Yes, if a freelance translator joins a translators association, he/she will be consequently subject to its regulations.

No, if a freelance translator does not join any translators association. His/her relationship with the client is completely determined by the market mechanism rather than a regulatory body.

Whether the translator has secondary school or university qualification, is native or non-native speaker of the target language, sets low, medium, or high rate, has educational background that is or is not related to the subject matter, is experienced or not, do not matter altogether as long as the client believes in his/her translation competence and further is satisfied with his/her work.

Begitulah kire-kire Hars.:)

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rather Difficult Dec 7, 2006

If you think of all the language combinations there can be, not to mention all the different sub-specialties that can be dealt with in each pair and in each direction, plus the very complicated task of designing, validating and administering tests to qualify people...

...then the answer is no.

It is just not practical except for specific languages in specific areas and for the purposes of specific organizations, where some regulation does exist.

Nor is it practical merely on the basis of education, for many good translators (yours truly included) have no degree in translation, plus the fact that such degrees are not widely offered in many parts of the world, so again...

...the answer is no.

However, we can be relieved by the fact that the results of our efforts are seldom cause for one of our clients to become disabled, die or to be unjustly imprisoned.

Indonesia
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the link... Dec 7, 2006

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

Here is the link of the past forum discussing the same topic.
Whether the translator has secondary school or university qualification, is native or non-native speaker of the target language, sets low, medium, or high rate, has educational background that is or is not related to the subject matter, is experienced or not, do not matter altogether as long as the client believes in his/her translation competence and further is satisfied with his/her work.

Thanks for the past link. After reading all the post, I see now that some countries such as Canada, Argentina and mostly European countries do regulate. Now I know why my professor once said that in Indonesia the translation sector/industry has not yet matured such as the case in other countries.

Do you think Indonesia will follow soon? What with the government trying to regulate how people should speak Bahasa Indonesia and all.

[Edited at 2006-12-08 00:31]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Regulated... how? Dec 7, 2006

Harry Hermawan wrote:
Do you think this line of work should be regulated as such with other professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc.)?

Let me throw the question back at you and ask... how or what would you regulate in the translation industry?

Indonesia
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
TOPIC STARTER
An example Dec 8, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Harry Hermawan wrote:
Do you think this line of work should be regulated as such with other professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc.)?

Let me throw the question back at you and ask... how or what would you regulate in the translation industry?

An example here applies to being a "sworn translator".

In Indonesia if you pass a test conducted by a body (translator association/university) with certain passing score you are eligible to have a "chop" and issued register number released by the Governor of Jakarta, but if you reside elsewhere outside Jakarta this I guess doesn't apply.

I would assume this would be the case elsewhere. Would not this be regulated?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it really regulated?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search