Same translation for 2 different clients because of TM
Thread poster: Alexandre Coutu
Alexandre Coutu
Canada
Local time: 18:24
English to French
Dec 9, 2006

*not sure if this is the best place for the question, but I couldn't find a better one*

I use Wordfast, but this question relates to all CAT tools.

The other day, I noticed something that got me rather worried. Well, perplexed, actually.

As I was translating a text, my TM returned a segment (not 100%) from a previous translation. I edited it slightly and continued onto the next segment.

This should be perfect and I should be happy (I was!), but I later realized that the previous segment didn't come from the same client.

Of course, the translation contains no information about the client in question, but one day, one client may notice that a close competitor's text (if both texts become public or are intended to be) contains the same sentence written in a way that would make it very unlikely for it to be a coincidence. The English might have been slightly different, but the French might be almost exactly the same. I suppose a client may think that I copied or stole from his text.

Has anyone else put some thought into this? Or has this situation happened to any of you? Am I just paranoid?

Direct link Reply with quote

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 01:24
French to English
+ ...
Don't worry about it Dec 10, 2006

If the source text was close enough to trigger a match then it is only reasonable that the translations should be close too.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
That's what CAT tools are for Dec 10, 2006

If the source text is similar, it makes sense that the translations are similar. (Has anyone else run into a clent who thinks that, because the source texts are identical, I should come up with exactly what another translator at another time came up with?)

Trados has the capability of setting a "client" filter that makes it easier for you to remember that two clients have two different preferred translations for a given term. I don't know whether WordFast has this capability.

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 19:24
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Filter Dec 10, 2006

Paul Merriam wrote:
Trados has the capability of setting a "client" filter that makes it easier for you to remember that two clients have two different preferred translations for a given term.

Hi Paul,

Where is this filter?

Thanks for your input.

Nancy

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Project and filter setttings Dec 10, 2006

NancyLynn wrote:

Paul Merriam wrote:
Trados has the capability of setting a "client" filter that makes it easier for you to remember that two clients have two different preferred translations for a given term.

Hi Paul,

Where is this filter?

Thanks for your input.

Nancy

Hi Nancy!

First you have to set up different customers under

File -> Set Up -> Fields....

Then you have to stipulate the customer for which you are translating at the start of each translation using

Settings -> Project and filter settings.

HTH

Alison

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
One sentence or the whole translation? Dec 10, 2006

Alexandre Coutu wrote:

As I was translating a text, my TM returned a segment (not 100%) from a previous translation. I edited it slightly and continued onto the next segment.

Hi Alexandre!

Was it just one sentence or the whole text to be translated? In the kind of work I do (financial), it often happens that several customers use a very similar (or even identical) wording. I don't worry about this at all, as I have set up my Trados memory to show me which customer I have previously translated this segment for - and also because in financial translation 100% matches (or almost 100%) are certainly not rare occurences, irrespective of the particular customer. I mean - there are only so many ways of saying that "profits were up [or down] by x% compared to last fiscal year".

However, if your matches related to the whole text to be translated I might be a bit more worried and would probably contact the client - to let them know that their text is a plagerism of XYZ....

HTH

Alison

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If you mix clients' TMs, it'll happen Dec 11, 2006

Alexandre Coutu wrote:
As I was translating a text, my TM returned a segment (not 100%) from a previous translation. I edited it slightly and continued onto the next segment. ... This should be perfect and I should be happy (I was!), but I later realized that the previous segment didn't come from the same client.

If you don't use a new TM for each client or for each job, then that'll happen. Even without TM, it is possible to translate the same source sentence from two different texts in the same way.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast doesn't have it, no Dec 11, 2006

Paul Merriam wrote:
Trados has the capability of setting a "client" filter that makes it easier for you to remember that two clients have two different preferred translations for a given term. I don't know whether WordFast has this capability.

Wordfast has no such facility, and there are no immediate plans to include it, it seems. However, the TM format makes provision for the client's name to be included in the TU, so I guess it might be possible for someone to write a macro that displays it.

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
... Dec 11, 2006

That's why I always use different TMs for different end clients. So I know to whom they belong. I've only a problem when there are two agencies involved and only one end client, which happens from time to time (small language pair).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same translation for 2 different clients because of TM

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search