Job offer looking for 'lowest rates and an acceptable level of English'
Thread poster: xxxIreneN
xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 13:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 2, 2007

I've already mentioned this but I'm afraid that the old forum will not attract many new readers so I decided to open a new thread.

I hate to start New Year with this but I'm really curious about colleagues' opinion regarding a job offer like this one:

"only the ones with ... lowest rates and an acceptable level of English will be contacted".

Please pay attention that the services published on the outsourcer's web page are in fact a copy and paste of Proz' expertise list. The company is "freshly formed". Feels like we breed and enable them...

The rest of my comments are beyond all the printable languages known to me.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-01-02 04:58]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:13
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Life is too short Jan 2, 2007

Upon reading the words you cited, I did the only reasonable thing, given the importance of my health and time: I pressed the "delete" button.

An active exercise of one's uncouth vocabulary should be reserved for much better occasions.

[Edited at 2007-01-02 04:15]

xxxIreneN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wish I could Jan 2, 2007

Because that would mean deleting it from the site. I opted out of translation job alerts a long time ago but curiosity makes me open and read the offers every now and then to monitor the circulating rates. Curiosity killed the cat:-(

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:13
English to German
+ ...
I am most grateful ... Jan 2, 2007

... if they say it so openly right away. So I do not have to bother offering my services because they tell me frankly "we are not the kind of client you wish to work for".

I wish everybody would be so explicit about their expectations. That would save me a lot of time.

Have a Happy New Year and enjoy your life.

xxxIreneN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK then Jan 2, 2007

I never waste my time on offering my services as I never seek any translation jobs on Proz. With some mutual luck I might respond to direct offers but normally I don't have time for those either. I even chat on my paid break time:-)

I was bothered with stealing from the site and supporting such spits in the face. I guess I shoudn't have... Let it be.

Happy New Year!

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:13
English to Turkish
Let's start the year with optimism Jan 2, 2007

"only the ones with ... lowest rates ...

They didn't want to confuse translators, I suppose. Otherwise, they would have said "only the ones with the best rates..." and some stupid translators might have contacted them with questions like, "your best rate, or mine?" (which, for instance, I did a couple of times, when I had nothing better to do.)

...and an acceptable level of English will be contacted"

Perhaps the translation job is, say, between Russian and Turkish, but the communication will be in English, so they seek an acceptable level, of course, so that the translator can understand their instructions and, more importantly, can write an invoice.

Curiosity killed the cat

Thankfully, she's got eight more lives

Happy New Year!

xxxMalik Beytek
I say there is need for some public education activity.... Jan 3, 2007

... as to what goes into producing a page of translated text and nobody believes me!

Translators don't join forces for educating the public about their work and then they go ballistic when they encounter this kind of ... well, *attitude*, let us say.

So that's one, i.e., educating the public.

Two:

IreneN wrote (italics mine):

"... The company is "freshly formed". Feels like we breed and enable them..."

How is that? How do we "breed and enable them"?

And three:

Was this a job announcement on proz.com? If yes, then could proz.com not make a rule like this one:

Any reference to *low rates* in a job announcement would be considered offensive and therefore that announcement would not be carried on proz.com.

And maybe even proz.com should require that an announcement would contain a maximum rate acceptable to project owner. There would of course be silly figures being posted at the outset. In time, however, things would stabilize; I mean a project owner would look at what other outsourcers have posted as maximum acceptable rates before they post their own. Etc...

No?

xxxIreneN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 simple answers Jan 3, 2007

1. There is no "perhaps" - the intended end client is the US government. Moreover, the list of languages leaves little room for guessing re. subject(s).

2. Sure it was and is posted on Proz. How do we breed them? - Please re-read about copy and paste. The oursourcer apparently expressed no doubts that this is the right place for cheap providers in the listed fields of expertise.

xxxMalik Beytek
Prepare for worse: You know what I hear from translation agencies here in Ankara? Jan 3, 2007

They tell me that I'm living in an expensive part of the town where the rent is relatively higher and that's why I'm having a hard time getting by with little work and low rates and so maybe I should move to a less expensive part of the town!

Take that to global scale - they (i.e., US Gov'mint and this translation agency in question in this thread) -are telling you that you are living in an expensive part of the world and maybe you should move!

And don't overlook Ozden Arikan's first paragraph -- it is loaded, if not a coincidence: Instead of using the expression "best rates" or "best offer" or "best quote", they use the expression "lowest rates". It might be that they (the managers / owners of this agency) themselves command only an *acceptable* level of English. It might also be that they are being intentionally blatant about going for cheapest rates for quality of work that would not be rejected by the client (but perhaps should be rejected).

You guys still don't intend to get a bit political about it and start maybe with public education?

I imagine that quality would be /should be a key issue.

xxxIreneN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really Jan 3, 2007

Government (and DoD) apparently pay enough because I get my rates via agencies. Plus glossaries, plus all repetitions are paid in full (copy/paste type, thank God my projects do not require CATs).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job offer looking for 'lowest rates and an acceptable level of English'

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search