OK to post third party logos on my website?
Thread poster: Maciek Drobka

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:51
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 2, 2007

Hello,

I am currently developing my own website. One of the sections will list some of the brands that I have dealt with in my translator's career.

To make the section more visually attractive, I was thinking of including those brands' logos on my website. Without asking permission, that is. (For example, if I had translated McDonald's texts--which I haven't--I would place the golden arches logo in the section.)

But then I began to wonder whether this might be illegal.

Do you know whether posting logos rather than just company names is illegal on image protection or other grounds? Or does this vary by country?

Regards,
Maciek

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
.. Jan 2, 2007

I've heard of several ebay sellers in Germany being sued for using logos and brand names in their auctions without the explicit consent of the name holders. I'd say it varies from country to country, and whether or not somebody actually cares. No plaintiff, no judge, as they say in Germany....

Sonja

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-02 13:07]

Daniela Warman
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:51
English to French
+ ...
Ask permission Jan 2, 2007

I definitely think its best to ask their permission, which I suppose becomes difficult when you did not work directly for the end client. Saying and then putting a hyperlink on the logos to their own website would definitely increase the likelihood of them saying yes.

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 3, 2007

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.

After giving it some thought, I have decided against placing company logos on my website. I'll just format the names in bold and hope nobody will mind.

Maciek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OK to post third party logos on my website?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search