Professional Indemnity Insurance for translators/interpreters in the UK
Thread poster: Ines Cas (X)
Ines Cas (X)
Ines Cas (X)

Jan 9, 2007

Dear colleagues,
I would like to buy Professional Indemnity Insurance, I’m a freelance interpreter and translator (qualified: DipTrans and DPSI and Member of the IoL) and work only with agencies in the UK. Could someone advise me which one of the following is the best?

Shephard
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I would like to buy Professional Indemnity Insurance, I’m a freelance interpreter and translator (qualified: DipTrans and DPSI and Member of the IoL) and work only with agencies in the UK. Could someone advise me which one of the following is the best?

Shephard Herriot Ltd (Shephards)
http://www.linguistscover.co.uk/

McParland Finn Ltd
www.m-f-l.co.uk

These are the only one I know of. Does anyone know any others?
Thank you.
Ines
Collapse

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:38
Member (2007)
English to French
Yes I do know of others Jan 9, 2007

I am an MCIL too (but only a translator) and live in the UK. After shopping around, I got insured with Jardine Lloyd Thompson. Good value and very helpful when you need information.

Here's the link

http://www.jltgroup.com/index.php4

accbuss
accbuss
Spain
Local time: 18:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another possibility Jan 9, 2007

Try the Professional Contractors Group (www.pcg.org.uk) who offer such a policy from Randell Dorling Limited (http://www.randelldorling.co.uk/) with a discount. Cost for a one man limited co. could be around £170 per year.

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:38
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cost and another option Jan 10, 2007

accbuss wrote:

Try the Professional Contractors Group (www.pcg.org.uk) who offer such a policy from Randell Dorling Limited (http://www.randelldorling.co.uk/) with a discount. Cost for a one man limited co. could be around £170 per year.

The cost can vary quite a lot depending, to a large degree, on the limit that you buy, your experience, (estimated) income and past record.

I'm currently with McParland Finn as one of my insurance broker clients insists on quite a high limit. Previously I was insured with Bennett Gould and Partners with a lower limit.

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:38
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
can recommend Bennett Gould Jan 10, 2007

After shopping around a couple of years ago, I got the best deal from Bennett Gould. The limit of my policy is £250,000 - which is plenty for the sort of work that I do. (Well, I'd like to think so, anyway.) My policy was a great deal cheaper than the quote I got from Shephards, which amazed me since the latter were recommended by the CIOL (which I'm a member of). I raised this at one of the AGMs, because I was previously rather naive in that respect, assuming that the CIOL would have done i... See more
After shopping around a couple of years ago, I got the best deal from Bennett Gould. The limit of my policy is £250,000 - which is plenty for the sort of work that I do. (Well, I'd like to think so, anyway.) My policy was a great deal cheaper than the quote I got from Shephards, which amazed me since the latter were recommended by the CIOL (which I'm a member of). I raised this at one of the AGMs, because I was previously rather naive in that respect, assuming that the CIOL would have done its ground work first before recommending a particular company to its members. I suppose it all depends on your particular work load: the combinaton of technical & non-technical translations, the proportion of work for USA customers (and associated increased risk of law suits), so the CIOL may simply have recommended a reliable, solid organisation without considering the premiums.
But getting a discount doesn't necessary mean you're getting the best deal in the end if the initial premium is high.

Admittedly, a low policy shouldn't be the only indicator of a good policy, but when it comes at half the rate of other quotes, it is worth looking into further. I have found Bennett Gould efficient and friendly on every occasion, but then, I've never had to make a claim.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional Indemnity Insurance for translators/interpreters in the UK

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »