https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/63060-vat_id_on_invoice_in_germany.html

VAT ID on invoice in Germany
Thread poster: Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 9, 2007

Dear all,

I apologise if this matter has been covered before and would appreciate if you give me directions on where to look. My quick search didn't bring me any decent results.

I've got today my German VAT ID. Should I from now on use this number on my invoices or should I use both VAT ID and ordinary Tax ID?

Danke im Voraus
Natalia

Anne Wosnitza
Anne Wosnitza  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
helpful link... Jan 9, 2007

http://www.bdue.de/pdf/2Rechnungsausstellung2004.pdf

Contains the most important issues...

Best regards,
Anne

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
VAT ID on invoice in Germany Jan 9, 2007

NataliaElo wrote:

I've got today my German VAT ID. Should I from now on use this number on my invoices or should I use both VAT ID and ordinary Tax ID?

Put the VAT ID on all invoices. Technically, you are allowed to use the ordinary tax code instead under some circumstances (but not all), but there is no benefit to doing so. Also, the tax code is considered to be confidential information, whereas the VAT ID is considered public.

Marc

Natalia Elo
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 10, 2007

Dear Anne and Marc,

Thank you both for clarification.

Best regards
Natalia

Natalia Elo
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more question Jan 10, 2007

I thought I'd use the same thread, because the matter is closely related.

Up until now I used to write on my invoice a clause about Kleinunternehmerregelung (Don't know its English equivalent), according to which I didn't charge my clients any VAT. Now, when I issue an invoice to, let's say, Finland, I don't add VAT, but should I write then some paragraph according to which I do so or should I just state VAT 0%?

Thank you for your help.

Natalia

Katrin Hollberg
Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Put it on ALL invoices Jan 10, 2007

Hello,

as Marc already mentioned put your VAT no. on all your invoices even if you do not charge any tax - or should I say just because...?!?

This issue has been a hot topic in other threads...please have a look... Important is to add clearly both VAT IDs -your own and your client's no. - in order to avoid problems.
Please try to state your client's valid VAT ID in any case.

Then you might add a sentence on your invoice like "tax free intracommunity s
... See more
Hello,

as Marc already mentioned put your VAT no. on all your invoices even if you do not charge any tax - or should I say just because...?!?

This issue has been a hot topic in other threads...please have a look... Important is to add clearly both VAT IDs -your own and your client's no. - in order to avoid problems.

Then you might add a sentence on your invoice like "tax free intracommunity services/deliveries" (depending on the business case)... I use this English version...sometimes even up to 2-3 language versions to avoid any problems that might occur later on. )

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-10 10:33]
Collapse

Natalia Elo
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 10, 2007

Katrin Hollberg wrote:

Hello,

Yeah, I know, have been reading them from time to time, just wasn't sure about this transformation from VATless to VATfull life.

Then you might add a sentence on your invoice like "tax free intracommunity delivery". Depending on the business case I use this English version...sometimes even up to 2-3 language versions to avoid any problems that might occur later on. )

Katrin, would you mind to share a German version of this sentence?

Thank you in advance
Natalia

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Be careful to distinguish between delivery and service Jan 10, 2007

Katrin Hollberg wrote:
Then you might add a sentence on your invoice like "tax free intracommunity delivery". Depending on the business case I use this English version...sometimes even up to 2-3 language versions to avoid any problems that might occur later on. )

Hi Katrin,

Translation and interpreting are services (German: Leistungen), not deliveries (German: Lieferungen). I strongly advise to make this distinction and change the wording accordingly.

Steffen

Katrin Hollberg
Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Yes Steffen's comment is very important!!! Jan 10, 2007

Absolutely right. Sorry Natalia, I was not going to cause any confusion. And thank you Steffen for correcting me!

So in your case, Natalia...the German corresponding sentence would be: "Steuerfreie innergemeinschaftliche Dienstleistungen" - At least this is what I use...Any other suggestions, comments?

I am using both "services" and "deliveries" because I also have foreign customers ordering magazines from me. It is mandatory to be very precise when stating towards you
... See more
Absolutely right. Sorry Natalia, I was not going to cause any confusion. And thank you Steffen for correcting me!

So in your case, Natalia...the German corresponding sentence would be: "Steuerfreie innergemeinschaftliche Dienstleistungen" - At least this is what I use...Any other suggestions, comments?

I am using both "services" and "deliveries" because I also have foreign customers ordering magazines from me. It is mandatory to be very precise when stating towards your tax authorities as well. So be careful that everything matches.

Katrin

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-10 10:48]
Collapse

Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not charging VAT (Section 19(1) of the German VAT Act) and VAT ID Jan 10, 2007

Up until now I used to write on my invoice a clause about Kleinunternehmerregelung (Don't know its English equivalent

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but maybe someone on this forum knows the answer: I opted to be treated in accordance with Sec 19(1) UStG, so don't charge VAT, and was told by the office in Saarlouis I could not have a VAT ID (was told this on the phone). How did you get it? I would much prefer to state a VAT ID on my invoices, it's much easier to satisfy EU-customers and suppliers of your business status, using the VAT ID.

Thanks.

Natalia Elo
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Birgit Jan 10, 2007

Birgit Richter wrote:

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but maybe someone on this forum knows the answer: I opted to be treated in accordance with Sec 19(1) UStG, so don't charge VAT, and was told by the office in Saarlouis I could not have a VAT ID (was told this on the phone). How did you get it? I would much prefer to state a VAT ID on my invoices, it's much easier to satisfy EU-customers and suppliers of your business status, using the VAT ID.

Thanks.

Dear Birgit,

Last year I exceeded the limit of earnings set for Kleinunternehmer (I will use the German term in order to avoid confusion), so I just applied for paying VAT myself before Finanzamt tells me to do so on the basis on my tax declaration which I will have to submit this year some time later.

I'm not sure, but I think it's up to you whether to register for VAT or not. I wouldn't say it is so much easier than being Kleinunternehmer, I will have to fill in every three months (or for some people every month) VAT return sheet after all.

If you want to register for VAT, you should write to your Finanzamt and then send the letter, you will get from them to Saarlois and wait for the VAT ID number.

Best regards
Natalia

Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
registering for VAT - VAT ID Jan 10, 2007

Natalia wrote: "If you want to register for VAT, you should write to your Finanzamt and then send the letter, you will get from them to Saarlois and wait for the VAT ID number."

Thanks Natalia,

I just thought there might be a way of not having to submit monthly or quarterly VAT advance returns and still being able to have a VAT ID.

[Edited at 2007-01-10 16:30]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT ID on invoice in Germany

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »