The power of Project Manager
Thread poster: Rad Graban

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:31
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jan 19, 2007

Is the Project Manager allowed to make corrections/amendements to the translation without consulting the translator?

Direct link Reply with quote

interpre-eu
Local time: 03:31
Finnish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 20, 2007

Rad Graban wrote:

Is the Project Manager allowed to make corrections/amendements to the translation without consulting the translator?

In an agency setting, I would not hesitate for a second to make amendments if I knew I was right. I suppose it would be good form to at least let the translator know what you've done - from a development point of view.

It's not the translators responsibility if I correct your work and I'm wrong.

Having said that, when I translate for various agencies, once I've sent the file over, my client can do whatever they want it. The only time when I would demand to approve amendments is if my name appears as credit for the translation - then I need to be satisfied that the quality has not suffered. Usually there's no credit given so I couldn't care less what the end client does with my translation.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 20, 2007

Unless there's some specific agreement to the contrary, your client may do anything he/she cares to do to it (to include making amendments or corrections). If a project manager is involved, it is probably work for hire and, if so, once you're paid, the copyright generally belongs to the purchaser.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The power of Project Manager

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search