Should translators sign 'external request forms'?
Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:44
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2007

After delivering a fairly small job for an agency, I was asked to sign an external request form. It showed the files that I had translated, a name I didn't recognise and a section for 'translated by' which I was asked to sign WITHOUT adding my full name and trade name. (This form came in addition to the PO and the confidentiality statement, which I never have any problems with.) I refused to sign if I wasn't allowed to add at least my personal name underneath my signature, since I wasn't clear what the form was going to be used for. Has anyone else come across those external request forms before?

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:44
English to French
+ ...
I have never came across anything like this Jan 27, 2007

The closest to this I ever got was a form wherein I had to declare that my translation was to the best of my knowledge, etc.

I would not sign the form you are talking about. It doesn't say what it's for, so, it's like signing a contract you haven't read. Also, sounds fishy to me they expressly told you not to write your name under your signature. Sounds very fishy...

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should translators sign 'external request forms'?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search