Who decides which payment option from a PO to use?
Thread poster: Anna Strowe
Anna Strowe
Local time: 07:50
Italian to English
Feb 6, 2007

I apologize if this question seems a bit naive. If an agency sends a PO listing, for example, two payment options A and B, and the translator accepts the PO, who gets to choose which method is eventually used for payment?

Should the translator immediately reject the PO if they know that they can accept option B but not option A, and request a new PO? Should the translator accept the PO and then on the invoice specify that payment should be made by option B? If the translator does this, is the agency justified in ignoring this and paying by method A anyway?

Thanks for any comments!

Anna

Direct link Reply with quote

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:50
Member (2003)
French to English
Talk it through Feb 6, 2007

Hi Anna,
I'd recommend you get in touch with the agency and discuss together the terms under which you're going to work. After all, both parties to the contract need to agree! If there are particular constraints that mean you can't accept one of their payment options, you need to clarify it now, before you do the work - much simpler than having a dispute at the invoicing stage.
Regards,
Karen

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
The one who is offered the options. Feb 7, 2007

Because this is the meaning of "options".

[Edited at 2007-02-07 09:19]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
It could be they are not really options Feb 7, 2007

Harry Bornemann wrote:

I think I have had POs which said something like:

"The payment will perform xx days after receipt of invoice and will be performed either through bank transfer or cheque."

And then nothing explicit about who decides the method, although that, implicitly, the client assumed that they reserved the right to chose.

So, two "options" (or possible ways of payment) were listed but they were not really options for the translator but for the client.

If there can be a big difference for you in terms of bank fees and/or time, you should clarify this before accepting the job.

Daniel

Anna Strowe
Local time: 07:50
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 12, 2007

Thanks for the replies. It basically confirms what I thought- that it would be nice to believe that people will be reasonable, but that it's a bad idea to count on it.

Best,
Anna

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Slight misunderstanding? Feb 12, 2007

dgmaga wrote:

Harry Bornemann wrote:

I think I have had POs which said something like:

"The payment will perform xx days after receipt of invoice and will be performed either through bank transfer or cheque."

And then nothing explicit about who decides the method, although that, implicitly, the client assumed that they reserved the right to chose.

So, two "options" (or possible ways of payment) were listed but they were not really options for the translator but for the client.

If there can be a big difference for you in terms of bank fees and/or time, you should clarify this before accepting the job.

Daniel

Harry actually said (and he is right): "the one who is offered the option".
In other words, if they offer any option, you can choose.
It still means, that you better let them know, which option you "opt" for, because they are not mind-readers.

If they don't offer any option just state their payment method, there is nothing to choose from, it is their decision. In that case, if you don't like it, you have to negotiate
with them, ask them about any other possibility.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who decides which payment option from a PO to use?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search