Proof reading -
Thread poster: georgina singh

georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:37
Tamil to English
+ ...
Feb 16, 2007

How do I charge for proof-reading. I am from India, so give it to me in rupees.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:07
Finnish to English
Hourly Feb 16, 2007

Charge by the hour

Direct link Reply with quote
 

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:07
English to French
+ ...
Rates Feb 16, 2007

In the Jobs > Rates menu, you should be able to see the average rates for your language pair(s).

Hourly rates are common for proofreading projects.

Good luck!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:37
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Spencer! Feb 16, 2007

Spencer Allman wrote:

Charge by the hour


Thanks alot...I'll charge by the hour...but how much?

Best regards,

Georgina.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:37
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks alot Marie! Feb 16, 2007

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

In the Jobs > Rates menu, you should be able to see the average rates for your language pair(s).

Hourly rates are common for proofreading projects.

Good luck!


I'll check that out Marie--Thanks so much.

Luv,

Georgina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:07
French to English
+ ...
Ways of arriving at an hourly rate Feb 16, 2007

I worked out my hourly rate in the following way:

(what I want to earn per year) divided by (how many hours I think I will be working) = hourly rate.

Alternatively, you could ask yourself how many words you can translate in an hour, and how much you earn for those words - this will give an idea of what your hourly rate is.

Ultimately it's a personal thing, and there is the added complication of whether or not the client will agree to pay it. It's hard for anyone else to advise you on precise figures.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Hi Georgina Feb 16, 2007

georgina singh wrote:

How do I charge for proof-reading. I am from India, so give it to me in rupees.


As a reference, my best proofreading (more precisely, editing) rate is US$53 per hour per 500 words. Nevertheless, not all agencies agree with this. It is dependent on several factors - quality of the translation, technicality, turnaround time, payment immediacy, etc. Now, I hope you have a good idea of how much to charge.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:07
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Up to you Feb 16, 2007

Hi Georgina,

It's only up to you what you want to earn per hour. Some people are happy to earn 3 dollars per hour, some want 150. It's your decision what you want to charge (and the client's decision whether they go with it or not). You need to take into account your qualifications, how "nice" you want to be to your client, how much you think your client can pay, how much you need to earn to pay for your expenses, etc. If you go too high, your client might choose someone else for this project (and probably for future projects). If you go too low, you might end up working your *** off for peanuts.

I agree with what Angela wrote. You can ask yourself what you want to earn in a day and divide this amount by your working hours to find out an hourly rate that is good for you.

Best wishes,
Stefanie


Direct link Reply with quote
 

georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:37
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea. Feb 16, 2007

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:

Hi Georgina,

It's only up to you what you want to earn per hour. Some people are happy to earn 3 dollars per hour, some want 150. It's your decision what you want to charge (and the client's decision whether they go with it or not). You need to take into account your qualifications, how "nice" you want to be to your client, how much you think your client can pay, how much you need to earn to pay for your expenses, etc. If you go too high, your client might choose someone else for this project (and probably for future projects). If you go too low, you might end up working your *** off for peanuts.

I agree with what Angela wrote. You can ask yourself what you want to earn in a day and divide this amount by your working hours to find out an hourly rate that is good for you.

Best wishes,
Stefanie


Thanks Stephanie, thats a good piece of advice given at the right moment - before I can accept the offer.

Best regards,

Georgina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:37
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try to work that out. Feb 16, 2007

Angela Dickson wrote:


I worked out my hourly rate in the following way:

(what I want to earn per year) divided by (how many hours I think I will be working) = hourly rate.

Alternatively, you could ask yourself how many words you can translate in an hour, and how much you earn for those words - this will give an idea of what your hourly rate is.

Ultimately it's a personal thing, and there is the added complication of whether or not the client will agree to pay it. It's hard for anyone else to advise you on precise figures.


Thanks Angela for your timely advice....I'll try to work that out.

Luv,

Georgina.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:37
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hipyan. Feb 16, 2007

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

georgina singh wrote:

How do I charge for proof-reading. I am from India, so give it to me in rupees.


As a reference, my best proofreading (more precisely, editing) rate is US$53 per hour per 500 words. Nevertheless, not all agencies agree with this. It is dependent on several factors - quality of the translation, technicality, turnaround time, payment immediacy, etc. Now, I hope you have a good idea of how much to charge.



I'll take all your factors into consideration and try to arrive at a reasonable figure.

Thanks once again,

Luv,

Georgina


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proof reading -

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search