Inform agency about errors on their homepage?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:24
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Mar 1, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I have recently been addressed by an agency expanding their database of translators.
I have looked at their homepage, which makes quite a good impression, and I'd like to work for them.
However, clicking on the translation samples in my language direction, I found that these, while not exactly of bad quality, do contain the odd spelling error. Strange, since when I show samples of my work, I'd make sure that they don't contain obvious mistakes, wouldn't I?
My question is: in my situation, would you inform the agency about these errors and use this as a kind of advertisement for yourself, or would you rather ignore it?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
kind regards,
Erik

Direct link Reply with quote

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Good question! Mar 1, 2007

I also came across this problem once or twice when looking up homepages of potential outsourcers.

I decided to tell them only after having completed a job for them - what if they use your information, but you don't get anything out of it?

Plus, after seeing the errors, I wondered about the agency as such- obviously, they don't care much about quality assurance, or else they'd have corrected the mistakes.

All the best,
Carolin

[Edited at 2007-03-01 09:06]

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
why not tell them? Mar 1, 2007

It would be interesting to see how they respond to your comments, and in line with Carolin's remarks, it would give you a better idea of the agency's attitude to quality and their work in general. Anybody with sufficient resources can pay to have someone create a professional website, but quality requires a personal effort.

I'd suggest mentioning only one or two specific examples, with reasons why they are incorrect -- if only to avoid getting involved in a potential mud-slinging match.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have mixed feelings about this Mar 1, 2007

On the one hand, my instinct is to help people.

On the other hand, this sounds like an agency that does shoddy work. (If this is how carelessly they do quality control on their own web site, imagine what they do on their clients' projects.)

I have to wonder whether it's a good thing to help create a falsely positive image for an agency that I'm not working for in the first place.

Tough call.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I wasn't too impressed with their web site Mar 1, 2007

I would never tell an agency about mistakes on their web pages, because those web pages tell you so much about the agency, and whether to work for them or not. I find the information invaluable.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inform agency about errors on their homepage?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search