https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/6761-rate_scheme_for_cat_tools_users.html

Rate scheme for CAT Tools Users
Thread poster: artbook
artbook
artbook  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:14
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 2, 2002

We are presently extending our team of international translators. We are evaluating the rate scheme to be applied for 100%, 90-95% matches and repetitions: which is the normal ratio applied for these matches?

(100%=0%; 90-95% = 50%; repetition = 30% would be fine?)

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
What's the difference between 100% match and repetition? Dec 2, 2002

Is there one I\'m missing? Or does repetition refer to repeated occurrences within the same text only? In that case: first occurrence: 100%, the rest at the rate of 100% matches.

I certainly wouldn\'t accept a text with a sizeable proportion of 100% matches if they were not paid at 10% to 30%, depending on the text (eg. flow text with long sentences vs. tables with short trans
... See more
Is there one I\'m missing? Or does repetition refer to repeated occurrences within the same text only? In that case: first occurrence: 100%, the rest at the rate of 100% matches.

I certainly wouldn\'t accept a text with a sizeable proportion of 100% matches if they were not paid at 10% to 30%, depending on the text (eg. flow text with long sentences vs. tables with short translation units).

See this excellent explanation by Jacques Van de Velde on why 100% matches can be dangerous if not properly verified.
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
sliding scale Dec 2, 2002

We\'ve discussed this before and to be honest, your rates look low. Here\'s an example of what was proposed to me (in Italy), although every agency has different rates. This is simply an example.

100% - 85% match = 70% discount on the full rate

84% - 70% match = 30% discount on the full rate

69% - 0% match = full rate

My true gripe about the sliding scale is that I get the impression that the agencies apply the discount to the transla
... See more
We\'ve discussed this before and to be honest, your rates look low. Here\'s an example of what was proposed to me (in Italy), although every agency has different rates. This is simply an example.

100% - 85% match = 70% discount on the full rate

84% - 70% match = 30% discount on the full rate

69% - 0% match = full rate

My true gripe about the sliding scale is that I get the impression that the agencies apply the discount to the translators they use but charge the customer as if the entire translation were new. In other words, the agency makes more, the translator makes less.

I\'d be interested in reading the opinions of agencies on this.

Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:14
French to English
Each translator has their own rates Dec 2, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-02 10:39, artbook wrote:

We are presently extending our team of international translators. We are evaluating the rate scheme to be applied for 100%, 90-95% matches and repetitions: which is the normal ratio applied for these matches?

There is a fundamental error here. Buyers don\'t set prices, sellers do. ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-02 10:39, artbook wrote:

There is a fundamental error here. Buyers don\'t set prices, sellers do.

Every translator has their own rates based on their experience, specialties, availability, whether additional services or products are required, etc.

A translator may find your rates acceptable, but it is ultimately the translator who decides this.

Regards,

Karin Adamczyk ▲ Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
100% match: 0%?? Dec 2, 2002

The only type of match I am willing to give a discount for is a 100% match and it certainly is not for free! If I gave a 100% discount for 100% matches, it would be the client who takes advantage of my investment - the CAT tool - and IMHO, that would be very unfair, unless that client pays for my CAT tool licence (which they are never willing to do). Moreover, even 100% matches have to be proofread. The same sentence in the source language is not always translated in the same way! That means tha... See more
The only type of match I am willing to give a discount for is a 100% match and it certainly is not for free! If I gave a 100% discount for 100% matches, it would be the client who takes advantage of my investment - the CAT tool - and IMHO, that would be very unfair, unless that client pays for my CAT tool licence (which they are never willing to do). Moreover, even 100% matches have to be proofread. The same sentence in the source language is not always translated in the same way! That means that for 100% matches, I charge at least the editing rate.

As for less-than-100% matches: no discount whatsoever! You still have to check the entire sentence, see where the differences are and probably change something and that takes almost as much time as translating the sentence.
Collapse

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:14
German to English
+ ...
Minus 33 % for matches, any matches Dec 2, 2002

A Spanish agency suggested 66 % for matching segments (any over 75 %). At the same time, they quietly increased the rate for no-match text (not much, but fairness does count). Those guys/gals have the right idea. Like the old folks used to say: \"One hand washes the other...\"

Translations from that agency always have priority in my book. At your scale you will get desperate translators only, and those who are too frustrated to care. Always remember, the most effective advertising for
... See more
A Spanish agency suggested 66 % for matching segments (any over 75 %). At the same time, they quietly increased the rate for no-match text (not much, but fairness does count). Those guys/gals have the right idea. Like the old folks used to say: \"One hand washes the other...\"

Translations from that agency always have priority in my book. At your scale you will get desperate translators only, and those who are too frustrated to care. Always remember, the most effective advertising for an agency targets employees/freelancers.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate scheme for CAT Tools Users

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »