NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 11:56
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

To Jenny Mar 7, 2007

Hi Jenny,

Just a word of caution (to you and any others reading this thread) -- you might want to change your e-mail address in your post to myname_at_xxx.com. By typing it in as is, you are inviting spammers who troll websites throughout the internet to use your address for their own noxious purposes.

As for the title subject of this thread, my experience is that a very low score is a strong caution. Imagine, for example, the number of translators with similar issues w
... See more
Hi Jenny,

Just a word of caution (to you and any others reading this thread) -- you might want to change your e-mail address in your post to myname_at_xxx.com. By typing it in as is, you are inviting spammers who troll websites throughout the internet to use your address for their own noxious purposes.

As for the title subject of this thread, my experience is that a very low score is a strong caution. Imagine, for example, the number of translators with similar issues who prefer not to post on the BB, because they don't master English, are not aware of this terrific resource, or simply prefer not to share their negative experience on the internet.

Be careful out there!

All the best,

Nancy
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I already did! Mar 7, 2007

Hi! I was approached in the same way by an Indian agency with a very bad reputation and only 1 or 2 points in PROZ's Blue Board. They really wanted me to carry out a large-volume assignment with some hundreds $$ involved. I was polite though straightforward. I told them I knew about their bad records and the comments done by other translators. I said I was going to charge a normal-to-high price, and asked to be paid in at least three terms and that I would send the translation in parts (in that... See more
Hi! I was approached in the same way by an Indian agency with a very bad reputation and only 1 or 2 points in PROZ's Blue Board. They really wanted me to carry out a large-volume assignment with some hundreds $$ involved. I was polite though straightforward. I told them I knew about their bad records and the comments done by other translators. I said I was going to charge a normal-to-high price, and asked to be paid in at least three terms and that I would send the translation in parts (in that way, if they wouldn't pay, I wouldn't deliver the remaining parts). At the end, they did not hire me, but I felt relieved too because I considered it was a risky job.

Don't hesistate to tell them what you think. They must know that they will get ruined if they continue like that, and that several translators from all over the world know about their reputation.
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Thank you for the tip Mar 7, 2007

NancyLynn wrote:

Hi Jenny,

As for the title subject of this thread, my experience is that a very low score is a strong caution. Imagine, for example, the number of translators with similar issues who prefer not to post on the BB, because they don't master English, are not aware of this terrific resource, or simply prefer not to share their negative experience on the internet.

Be careful out there!

All the best,

Nancy

Thank you for the tip, Nancy Lynn. I've now altered my email address in my earlier posting. Should I do the same in my Proz profile, perhaps?
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:56
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got a reply from the agency! Mar 7, 2007

"Purtroppo lavorando con + di 1000 traduttori all'anno possono capitare dei disguidi. A differenza però dei traduttori noi non abbiamo il tempo di screditare la loro professionalità quando succedono degli incidenti di traduzione".

(Unfortunately working with over 1000 translators a year, mistakes sometimes happen. In contrast with the translators, however, we don't have the time to discredit their professionalism when there are translation incidents).

Yes, but.... giv
... See more
"Purtroppo lavorando con + di 1000 traduttori all'anno possono capitare dei disguidi. A differenza però dei traduttori noi non abbiamo il tempo di screditare la loro professionalità quando succedono degli incidenti di traduzione".

(Unfortunately working with over 1000 translators a year, mistakes sometimes happen. In contrast with the translators, however, we don't have the time to discredit their professionalism when there are translation incidents).

Yes, but.... given that ALL the comments are negative, whereas most BB listed agencies have mainly or solely positive entries, I'm not quite convinced.

Thanks to all for your input.
Collapse

Boris Sigalov
Local time: 18:56
English to Russian
A standard reply of obvious tricksters Mar 7, 2007

Unfortunately working with over 1000 translators a year, mistakes sometimes happen. In contrast with the translators, however, we don't have the time to discredit their professionalism when there are translation incidents.

Marie-Helene,

The above is just a standard reply of obvious tricksters. I don't believe a word.

What you did was absolutely correct. Maximum we can do for such a client is to accept a job with 100% up front payment.

[Edited at 2007-03-07 13:24]

Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dear Marie-Helene, Mar 7, 2007

Let me give you the other side of the coin. One of my very best clients (in terms of large amounts of work, excellent support and payment after 2 weeks) had a couple of negative ratings on the BB.

I started out with the agency with a first job (I asked for a smaller job so that we could get to know each other). Payment followed as promised, the next job came almost immediately afterwards, payment remained on time, and the rest is history.

What I am trying to
... See more
Let me give you the other side of the coin. One of my very best clients (in terms of large amounts of work, excellent support and payment after 2 weeks) had a couple of negative ratings on the BB.

I started out with the agency with a first job (I asked for a smaller job so that we could get to know each other). Payment followed as promised, the next job came almost immediately afterwards, payment remained on time, and the rest is history.

What I am trying to say is that you should be careful, but at times you also should take some risks. First accept a smaller job or take payment (like 50% or so ) in advance.

However, never let amounts of money that you should receive remain unpaid and increase. Make sure that you receive payment when due and be on top of your invoices.

Good luck!
Lucinda
Collapse

Cristina Golab  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I took the risk as well Mar 7, 2007

But it did not have a happy ending. I accepted a project from a translation agency with a really bad BB score, and they prove why they have it. They have not paid me for a job I completed back in May 2006! ò_ó

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Approached by agency with bad Blue Board record

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search