notarized translation/how do I do it ?/U.K.
Thread poster: Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:03
English to French
+ ...
Mar 13, 2007

Hello ! I am translating documents for a company which is asking me about notarizing my translations in the future for some of my work. In some case the translations might be used in courts.
In live in the U.K. How do I do this, do I have to see a notary ? How much would they charge me ? Am I paying for this or would my company pay ?
Many thanks for your input !

Arturo Delgado
Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:03
English to Spanish
Suggestion Mar 13, 2007

You have to add a note saying briefly:
I, (name) hereby certify that I have translated the following document(s) for (name of client), and that I am fluent in (language1) and (language2).

Then you go to a notary and sign it in front of him.
I don't live in the U.K., so I don't know if they will charge you and how much. Here, in the U.S., you can find a notary in a bank and generally they won't charge you or charge you only a few dollars.

If you are working
... See more
I, (name) hereby certify that I have translated the following document(s) for (name of client), and that I am fluent in (language1) and (language2).

I don't live in the U.K., so I don't know if they will charge you and how much. Here, in the U.S., you can find a notary in a bank and generally they won't charge you or charge you only a few dollars.

If you are working for a company as an employee, I think your company should pay. If you are an independent contractor, you should pay yourself.

Good luck.
Collapse

P Waters
P Waters  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Tagalog
+ ...
I did notarized my work few months ago. Mar 13, 2007

Actually I did two projects where I had to notarized my work.

As Arturo suggested, bring the form to a notary and sign it in front of him/her. I was charged £5.00 for the first one and £9.00 for the second one. My client paid the fee(it was agreed before I took the project) -which was included in the invoice +1hour pay for travelling to the notary)

Hope this helps.
Lily

Gabi Ancarol (X)
Gabi Ancarol (X)
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
yes, but... Mar 13, 2007

Arturo Delgado wrote:

(...) If you are an independent contractor, you should pay yourself.

Good luck.

Yes, but I believe you should include it in your invocie, because it should be the final client to pay for the service asked for.

This sounds more logical to me.

Best of luck.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:03
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree, but the client should reimburse the notary's fee Mar 13, 2007

Arturo Delgado wrote:

If you are working for a company as an employee, I think your company should pay. If you are an independent contractor, you should pay yourself.

Good luck.

I agree with Arturo regrding the sort of note to be signed in front of the notary, but I'm sure your client should reimburse you for the notary's fee you'll have to pay - in my experience about £20 or so in the UK, plus any travelling expenses you incur in getting to the notary's office. You'd have to get a receipt from the notary to forward to the client with your invoice.
You can find a notary public in Yellow Pages.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

notarized translation/how do I do it ?/U.K.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »