Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Agencies sending out un-proofread translations?
Thread poster: marie719
Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:26
English to German
+ ...
To Jenny Mar 30, 2007

Jenny Duthie wrote:

... Her client has come back and complained about the translation, saying there are problems of incoherence and errors.

...I'm wondering how on earth a non-native English speaker can properly proofread my translation - what can I do in this situation

Coming back complaining and saying is not enough from the client's side. If they criticize your text, they have to be more precise. Ask, what exactly is their point. Ask for examples for said incoherence and errors.

Then you can see what they criticize and comment on it or take further action. It could be possible, the incoherence and errors have more to do with the HTML-encoding and not the language. But you cannot know without examples of what they are complaining about.

Be polite but strict.

All the best!

Akoma
Akoma
English to Russian
+ ...
2 sets of eyes, certainly. But who pays for the 2nd? Apr 1, 2007

As a product, any translation does need at least 2 pairs of eyes. I firmly believe so.
As a translator, I do not feel I should (and never do) pay out of my own pocket for this second pair. Nor do I (feel that it would be proper to) encumber my friends with the task of proofreading my translations. Similarly, if any of my translator friends address me with such request, there is a good chance I would simply cut off our friendship.
If, as I've heard, there is a new EU law stating that
... See more
As a product, any translation does need at least 2 pairs of eyes. I firmly believe so.
As a translator, I do not feel I should (and never do) pay out of my own pocket for this second pair. Nor do I (feel that it would be proper to) encumber my friends with the task of proofreading my translations. Similarly, if any of my translator friends address me with such request, there is a good chance I would simply cut off our friendship.
If, as I've heard, there is a new EU law stating that the making of a translation must involve at least two professionals, I'm all for it, though I do not live in the EU.
By the way, is it really a law or just a recommendation? And can anyone please give me a link to it?
Collapse

Jenny Duthie
Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:26
Member (2006)
French to English
thanks Claudia - re problems in a text Apr 2, 2007

Thanks Clauia, yes exactly I have asked for specific examples and I'm waiting to see what these are!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies sending out un-proofread translations?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »