Why there is VAT SDL Trados 7.0 purchase?
Thread poster: Natalia Elo

Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:32
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 30, 2007

Hi everybody,

I am filling in a tax return sheet (USt-Voranmeldung - what a headache!) for the first time in my life and I'm just wondering why there is a VAT in SDL Trados Purchase while there shouldn't be VAT between two EU-States.

Anybody more experienced than me, please explain.

Best regards
Natalia

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Mouris  Identity Verified
Hungary
French to German
+ ...
There shouldn't be in your case Mar 30, 2007

Hi Natalia,

I had the same problem when I tried to pay for it. I contacted their customer service in London (productsales@sdl.com), who asked me to send them my intraCommunity VAT number by mail and a few minutes later it was fixed. I paid no VAT. The lady in charge of the customer desk was quite efficient, but I was astonished that this possibility had not been provided for, as most of SDL customers are not Irish residents.

You might contact them and ask them to redress the invoice. If they can't do it now after your payment, there is still the possibility that you claim the VAT back from the Irish authorities. But I warn you: if dealing with your national VAT authorities gives you a headache, doing it with those of another Member State is sheer horror.

Robert

[Edited at 2007-03-30 11:13]

[Edited at 2007-03-30 11:29]

Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IntraCommunity VAT number? Mar 30, 2007

Dear Robert,

Thank you for exhaustive explanation.

Robert Mouris wrote:
.. who asked me to send them my intraCommunity VAT number by mail and a few minutes later it was fixed.

Is it some sort of special VAT-number or would my German VAT number be sufficient?

Natalia

Hungary
French to German
+ ...
Harmonized EU structure Mar 30, 2007

Hi again,

There is a harmonized European structure for VAT numbers (exactly as with bank account numbers -- national structure and IBAN structure).

A German harmonized VAT number consists of the letters "DE" plus 9 digits. You get this information from your tax authorities if you declare that you make intraCommunity importations (eg. buying Trados) or exportations.

Please have a look at the explanation from my local VAT administration (https://saturn.etat.lu/etva/construction.do).

Robert

Hungary
French to German
+ ...
Yours is OK Mar 30, 2007

Hi Natalia,

I checked your profile which contains your VAT number. The home page of my VAT administration has a link that allows me to check European VAT numbers from other Member States. Yours is OK. You can quote it when dealing with the customer desk of SDL.

Robert

Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Robert Mar 30, 2007

Robert Mouris wrote:

Hi Natalia,

I checked your profile which contains your VAT number. The home page of my VAT administration has a link that allows me to check European VAT numbers from other Member States. Yours is OK. You can quote it when dealing with the customer desk of SDL.

Robert

Unbelievable day, so many people helping me just because...

Wish you very nice day too.

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why there is VAT SDL Trados 7.0 purchase?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search