https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/73858-building_a_translation_quality_control_process_for_an_art_museum.html

Building a Translation Quality Control Process for an Art Museum
Thread poster: feller (X)
feller (X)
feller (X)

Local time: 19:13
English to Chinese
May 25, 2007

Dear All,

My name is Ken Yu. I am an exhibition assistant in an art museum in Taiwan.

I am now trying to make a proposal on creating a translation quality control process for the Museum (either a translation reviewing system, or outsource ALL the translation assignments to a single company/institute).

In estimation, there is a demand of 500,000 words(characters) of Chinese-into-English translation, and a much smaller demand of other language pairs. (The m
... See more
Dear All,

My name is Ken Yu. I am an exhibition assistant in an art museum in Taiwan.

I am now trying to make a proposal on creating a translation quality control process for the Museum (either a translation reviewing system, or outsource ALL the translation assignments to a single company/institute).

In estimation, there is a demand of 500,000 words(characters) of Chinese-into-English translation, and a much smaller demand of other language pairs. (The museum holds 25 exhibitions, a dozen of keynote speeches and 2 conferences per year, with numerous publications of exhibition catalogues, brochures, a quadri-monthly periodical.)

There is a problem of consistency and translation quality. Almost all the translations are outsourced, by over 20 various project managers. Very few of them are capable of reviewing the translation, and none of them outsource the translation to be reviewed. There is not any single professional translator hired and there is virtually no translation quality control.

The project managers have various concerns-- their tastes in language, urgency, budget (and perhaps personal connections). Therefore they go to different translators.

I have been a translator for 3 years. However, I have a very little experience other than simply translating. I'd appreciate very much any advice in solving the museum’s problem. Thank you!!

Ken
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Building a Translation Quality Control Process for an Art Museum

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »