Thread poster: Stephanie Bohnerth
Stephanie Bohnerth
Stephanie Bohnerth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:04
English to German
+ ...
Jan 10, 2003

In the nondisclosure agreement received from a US translation agency I found the

following special clause “Additionally, you agree not to accept work directly from one of the Agency’s client companies.”

Has anyone ever come across such a clause in a NDA?

I am looking forward to your comments.

Stephanie

Mirela Fletcher
Mirela Fletcher  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:04
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Not to approach the agency's clients Jan 17, 2003

It was shocking when I was kindly asked to sign a declaration by a London based agency stating the following: \"... I further agree on my own behalf or that of any subcontractor/s not to canvass, solicit or enter into any agreement with any person/company who, to my knowledge, is a client of (Linguamax). I also agree not to discourage or attempt to discourage any such client from dealing with (Linguamax) in the future. If any further work is required of the same or different nature by the client... See more
It was shocking when I was kindly asked to sign a declaration by a London based agency stating the following: \"... I further agree on my own behalf or that of any subcontractor/s not to canvass, solicit or enter into any agreement with any person/company who, to my knowledge, is a client of (Linguamax). I also agree not to discourage or attempt to discourage any such client from dealing with (Linguamax) in the future. If any further work is required of the same or different nature by the client to whom I have been introduced by (Linguamax), I shall undertake this work only through the agency of (Linguamax) or with (Linguamax)\'s explicit permission. I agree not to disclose my address or telecom details to the client unless approved by (Linguamax). I also agree not to discuss financial terms with the client.\"

Working for an agency is not easy. One may think that The Big Brother is watching What was I allowed to do? It is hard to remember from so many prohibitions. I thought the common sense is if you offer good services you are needed, if you don\'t - at least try to. Agencies are there not to compete with translators but to offer an additional value to the translation process. Am I wrong?

[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

special clause in nondisclosure agreement

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »