https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/7690-experience_with_%5Ctranmail%5C.html

Experience with \'tranmail\'?
Thread poster: BBaur (X)
BBaur (X)
BBaur (X)
United States
Local time: 18:06
English to German
+ ...
Jan 14, 2003

Does anybody have experience with \'tranmail\' at www.translatortips.com.

Is it worth the $79?

Thanks,

Birgit

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:06
English to Swedish
+ ...
No Jan 14, 2003

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-14 18:18]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:06
SITE FOUNDER
This has been discussed at least three times previously Jan 14, 2003

Here is a link to one thread on tranmail (which in turn links to others):

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=22661

I have a hunch it works if your skills are marketable and you are good at marketing yourself.

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 00:06
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I have good experience with it Jan 14, 2003

As Henry pointed out, it works if you have marketable skills and you are good at marketing yourself.

After my first (and so far only) mail campaign about 18 months ago, I received a job within an hour (!) from an agency (around 1000 euros). Since then, I worked for at least a dozen more agnencies that were on my mailing list.

HIROSE (X)
HIROSE (X)  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
It was helpful but not worth $79 Jan 14, 2003

Their information is helpful, but the same information they offer are offered FREE in various sites these days....

Besides, their paid membership site is not available.... You just cannot get into anywhere even though you click on \"Private Member\'s Site\".... can this be called a fraud????

Well, we used to get emails with tips until months ago...after that... it\'s gone????

Something might have happend to Alex...(?)

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
well said Jan 14, 2003

Actually, as far as I remember, when I purchased the list, it must have cost much less than USD 79. And yes, you can collect agency related info from various different sources. This basically means that the fee basically only saves you time.

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:06
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Save your money Jan 14, 2003

and do your own research. I bought the book and the most useful thing was the list of agencies in various countries. I got a few responses from agencies, although mostly to say they had enough translators in my language combination (German to English)...

The book contains a lot of information that you probably know / should know already about how to keep customers: doing work on time and to an acceptable standard.

As for Alex himself, I seem to remember
... See more
and do your own research. I bought the book and the most useful thing was the list of agencies in various countries. I got a few responses from agencies, although mostly to say they had enough translators in my language combination (German to English)...

The book contains a lot of information that you probably know / should know already about how to keep customers: doing work on time and to an acceptable standard.

As for Alex himself, I seem to remember his last update saying that he and his wife had had a new baby - perhaps he\'s just juggling work and family life like the rest of us?

Joanne

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-14 21:49]
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Juggling your family?!?!? Jan 14, 2003

so tell me ............-hup-.............. how do you juggle your family ............-hup-............... I\'ve got the baby and the hubby in the air right now ...........-whoah, hup-............whew, that was close, nearly dropped \'em .............-hup-...... my problem is ...............-hup-............. getting the sentences translated .............-hup-........... before they start coming back down ............... just can\'t seem to quite throw them high enough ................. ... See more
so tell me ............-hup-.............. how do you juggle your family ............-hup-............... I\'ve got the baby and the hubby in the air right now ...........-whoah, hup-............whew, that was close, nearly dropped \'em .............-hup-...... my problem is ...............-hup-............. getting the sentences translated .............-hup-........... before they start coming back down ............... just can\'t seem to quite throw them high enough ................. Collapse

Kay Fisher (X)
Kay Fisher (X)
German to English
+ ...
I tried... Jan 21, 2003

... to download that e-book of his, probably a year ago now. It didn\'t download, the electronic payment went through and no-one answered my calls for a refund (e-mail).

Frankly, the comments and suggestions in the free e-zine don\'t seem to be particularly helpful either (maybe all the usefull info is in the book??).

I\'ve given up on them.

Kay

Late edit:

Just to say that when
... See more
... to download that e-book of his, probably a year ago now. It didn\'t download, the electronic payment went through and no-one answered my calls for a refund (e-mail).

Frankly, the comments and suggestions in the free e-zine don\'t seem to be particularly helpful either (maybe all the usefull info is in the book??).

I\'ve given up on them.

Kay

Late edit:

Just to say that when Alex Eames contacted me advertising his new e-book, I got in touch with him and brought up the problems mentioned above with the first. He has since sorted things out and I now have the book.

[ This Message was edited by: KFF on 2003-03-25 19:36]
Collapse

scribolo (X)
scribolo (X)
Local time: 23:06
Tech point of view Jan 28, 2003

I agree with \"marketing yourself\" when talking about delivered e-mails, but when I\'ve sent my CV I got about 40% undelivered mails response. For the rest I had a job in short...

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:06
English to French
Fair product Jan 29, 2003

I think the list is a good investment.

Note, that he doesn\'t sell results, he sells a list of agencies\' email adresses. That\'s a very specialized mailing list, most addresses in it are correct, and I believe the testimonies to be real.

So, it looks like the guy delivers what he advertise.

Up to you to decide if having this marketing list is worth $79.

But of course, if you can\'t market, a marketing list is
... See more
I think the list is a good investment.

Note, that he doesn\'t sell results, he sells a list of agencies\' email adresses. That\'s a very specialized mailing list, most addresses in it are correct, and I believe the testimonies to be real.

So, it looks like the guy delivers what he advertise.

Up to you to decide if having this marketing list is worth $79.

But of course, if you can\'t market, a marketing list is not exactly your number one buy, is it?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience with \'tranmail\'?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »