https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/78938-marketing_of_agencies_i_acted_as_a_reference_and_am_now_being_solicited_as_a_client.html

Marketing of agencies... I acted as a reference and am now being solicited as a client
Thread poster: Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2007

Today I was a bit puzzled.
A couple of months ago I provided an agency with a reference about a colleague I work with. Ok so far, no problems.
Today I get an e-mail from that agency offering their services because they know I work in this field which verbatim is:

Hi Jesus,
You recently gave a reference for one of our freelance translators and interpreters. As you clearly have experience in the field of linguistics we wondered if we could help you with any language
... See more
Today I was a bit puzzled.
A couple of months ago I provided an agency with a reference about a colleague I work with. Ok so far, no problems.
Today I get an e-mail from that agency offering their services because they know I work in this field which verbatim is:

Hi Jesus,
You recently gave a reference for one of our freelance translators and interpreters. As you clearly have experience in the field of linguistics we wondered if we could help you with any language projects you have at the moment or in the future.

And there follows a long e-mail with all their services. I wonder...is this legal? I was never asked whether I wanted to be added to any database.....is that the reason for which they request references?
I guess if I write to them asking to unsuscribe me from wherever list they've put me on they'll do it but I feel it should have not happened in the first instance.....anyone has had a similar experience?
Very cheap way to populate a marketing database I think...thanks.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-19 18:06]
Collapse

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:15
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agencies stealing customers... Jul 18, 2007

Hello Jesús --

There are a few ways to sell the same thing. If you look into past posts in the forum you'll find that this is becoming a new way to get customers.

Of course, it's legal. They sell a "service"... you just say "no (thanks)". If you say "yes", they help you offering the same services to your customer, at your rates or better, and, in the unlikely situation that you get "that" job through the agency, you earn less (no: don't tell me about the sales and admi
... See more
Hello Jesús --

There are a few ways to sell the same thing. If you look into past posts in the forum you'll find that this is becoming a new way to get customers.

Of course, it's legal. They sell a "service"... you just say "no (thanks)". If you say "yes", they help you offering the same services to your customer, at your rates or better, and, in the unlikely situation that you get "that" job through the agency, you earn less (no: don't tell me about the sales and admin jobs this takes, because it was YOUR customer).

As we say in Spanish... "Contra el vicio de pedir..."!!!!

My advice: Never ever loose the lead of a customer. If you need an assistant, there are freelance assistants to help you, without competing with you.

Ruth @ MW
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Data Protection Act Jul 18, 2007

Hi Ruth,
I hope you've heard about the Data protection Act....the way I look at it is that they had my e-mail address because I provided a reference for a colleague and should have never used it for marketing purposes....I have to disagree with you....that is ILEGAL....against the law...at least in civilised countries like the UK where this agency is.
Anyway you seem to talk more from the point of view of an agency that probably does the same.
Regards.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
I posted about this agency just earlier today Jul 18, 2007

http://www.proz.com/post/621818

The discussion there didn't take the same turn as it did here, but you are not alone, Jesús! I've already told the translator colleague whom I recommended to the agency about this e-mail. I'm sure many other providers of theirs would love to know about this behavior!

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Jul 18, 2007

Jesús Marín Mateos wrote:

.....anyone has had a similar experience?

A reference of mine received the same message yesterday morning. He thought it unethical and forwarded it to me.
I couldn't believe my eyes! When I gave them my references, I took it for granted this was a confidential issue. Even worse, they are offering their services to their freelancers' clients! What do you call this?

S

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:15
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
How it all starts Jul 18, 2007

Have a look at http://www.proz.com/topic/78173
It's the same issue viewed from the other end, in terms of time.

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Por alusiones Jul 19, 2007

Hi Ruth,
I hope you've heard about the Data protection Act....the way I look at it is that they had my e-mail address because I provided a reference for a colleague and should have never used it for marketing purposes....I have to disagree with you....that is ILEGAL....against the law...at least in civilised countries like the UK where this agency is.

Hello Jesús,

I don't know how data protection does apply in the UK. Nor I know how this agency contacted you. But if it did it for a job they can easily say that they used your e-mail address according to an existing commercial relationship.

If UK is so civilised in this sense, I'm sure there exists a good place to report this and you already did it, so that the whole LAW will strike their narrow heads and they will never do it again.

Anyway you seem to talk more from the point of view of an agency that probably does the same.
Regards.

DEFINITELY NOT MY POINT OF VIEW. I was describing situations already described in this forum as you will have seen in other messages.

Ruth @ MW

[Edited at 2007-07-19 07:30]

Jesús Marín Mateos
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please read note before.... Jul 19, 2007

Hi Ruth,
Sorry, I feel you did not read my post properly...they contacted me because I provided them with a reference on a colleague of mine...I did never work for them...
Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marketing of agencies... I acted as a reference and am now being solicited as a client

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »