Agency stopped sending work
Thread poster: xxxalebodegon
xxxalebodegon
Local time: 16:26
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2007

Hi everyone!

I would like you opinion/suggestions about the following.
I used to work quite a lot for an agency, and I really enjoyed working for them (nice people, nice topics, payments on time...) I worked for them for several years and a couple of years ago, without there being any problem (at least I had no complaints) they just stopped sending me work. I sent them an updated CV (just to remind them of my existance) and after a few months, I even asked one of the PM (very politely) what had happened. They could have found someone cheaper or changed translators for whatever reason... but I wanted to make sure (for peace of mind) that their "disappearance" had nothing to do with me... I received no reply.

What would you have done/do in my place?

I have other clients (and never had complaints about my work), and sort of "moved on" but this keeps bothering me... As I said, it was a big client I really liked and I would like to have it back... or at least know what happend...

Thanks!

Ale

Direct link Reply with quote

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:26
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Worth a phone call? Jul 19, 2007

alebodegon wrote:

Hi everyone!

I would like you opinion/suggestions about the following.
I used to work quite a lot for an agency, and I really enjoyed working for them (nice people, nice topics, payments on time...) I worked for them for several years and a couple of years ago, without there being any problem (at least I had no complaints) they just stopped sending me work. I sent them an updated CV (just to remind them of my existance) and after a few months, I even asked one of the PM (very politely) what had happened. They could have found someone cheaper or changed translators for whatever reason... but I wanted to make sure (for peace of mind) that their "disappearance" had nothing to do with me... I received no reply.

What would you have done/do in my place?

I have other clients (and never had complaints about my work), and sort of "moved on" but this keeps bothering me... As I said, it was a big client I really liked and I would like to have it back... or at least know what happend...

Thanks!

Ale

I think it would be worth telephoning them to enquire what happened, saying how much you enjoyed working for them, just as you've said here.
It often happens that PMs leave an agency and new ones are employed with their own lists of translators, and your details just get lost somewhere in their records, or the company changes management with similar results.
Best of luck,
Jenny.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:26
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Probably... Jul 19, 2007

they found a cheaper translator...

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
four possibilities Jul 19, 2007

There could only be four reasons for this
-quality problems
-someone cheaper
-new project managers
-less workload at the company.

It doesn't sound like this was an issue with the quality of your work, so it must be one of the others.

I agree: give them a call. doesn't hurt to ask and will help you move on with your life instead of agonizing!

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe THEY lost clients for your language pair Jul 21, 2007

Another possibility: Maybe one or more of their clients for your specific language pair found a cheaper agency.

Yet another one: Maybe their clients finished some large project (or series of projects) for your language pair, and it's a game over.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency stopped sending work

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search