https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/84353-how_has_the_weak_us_dollar_affected_your_rates.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How has the weak US dollar affected your rates?
Thread poster: Francisco Pavez (X)
Francisco Pavez (X)
Francisco Pavez (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 20, 2007

This morning I've read that the Canadian Dollar has reached parity with the US dollar for the first time since 1976 http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/canada_dollar_parity_col

I know I just changed the currency of my rates to Euros because I simply cannot live on rates based on the greenback. I'm wondering what measures my colleagues have taken.

I wish
... See more
This morning I've read that the Canadian Dollar has reached parity with the US dollar for the first time since 1976 http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/canada_dollar_parity_col

I know I just changed the currency of my rates to Euros because I simply cannot live on rates based on the greenback. I'm wondering what measures my colleagues have taken.

I wish you all too much work and early payments ; )

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-09-21 07:17]
Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 05:27
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Yes Sep 20, 2007

I am considering raising my rates to American clients, or alternatively - charge only in EUROS

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
yes it did Sep 20, 2007

Infact it does not sound bad when I quote in €uro which is my primary fiscus, but the corresponding dollar value in numbers seems to go up. Somewhat shaky situation. Brandis

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Not at all Sep 20, 2007

I only work in Euros and (currently) with European clients. So it's made no difference to me whatsoever.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
I raised my rates.... Sep 20, 2007

And lost all my US clients, except one... I also lost a Canadian client, actually, since they paid in US dollar. The US dollar has been weak towards the euro for a long time. Luckily, most of my clients were European to begin with. However, I have not been able to charge Americans in euros...

Jørgen

[Edited at 2007-09-20 17:14]

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
My rates? No effect. My choice of clients? Absolutely Sep 20, 2007

I've essentially stopped working for US and Canada clients because they just can't afford the rates I need to live here. I make one exception for a long-standing, prestigious client, but that's essentially as a loss-leader so I can advertise that I work for them.

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:27
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Simple Sep 20, 2007

Only euro

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No US clients Sep 20, 2007

I only work in Euros and have almost all European clients. I realized early in this business that the Americans don't pay well, so I don't even bother with them - and they are my countrymen and -women!

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
I had to turn down work recently Sep 20, 2007

I was pleased that a US agency contacted me recently, promising regular work in my area of specialization, but their rate in $USD just wouldn't work for me, even after a few rounds of negotiation and lowering my rate down to my bare minimum acceptable level !

It was a disappointment to turn down work at this point in time when I'm trying to build up my business, but I can't start a precedent of working for so little. Better to not freelance at all while I'm still transitioning fr
... See more
I was pleased that a US agency contacted me recently, promising regular work in my area of specialization, but their rate in $USD just wouldn't work for me, even after a few rounds of negotiation and lowering my rate down to my bare minimum acceptable level !

It was a disappointment to turn down work at this point in time when I'm trying to build up my business, but I can't start a precedent of working for so little. Better to not freelance at all while I'm still transitioning from my in-house job than to work late nights and weekends for peanuts.

I've decided to stick to Europe, but it seems like many outsourcers want UK English - and I'm not qualified to do that.
Collapse

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:27
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The bank teller the other day Sep 20, 2007

took a look at the US cheque I wanted to deposit (yes, I sometimes do still walk in and do this personally, since the bank is a nice 10 minute walk away), and said "Sure you don't want to hang onto this to see if things change?". In Toronto it is no longer a fun day ( or not quite as), when an American cheque comes in the mail.
The past few jobs I've gotten have been from Europe and I am even happier than I would normally be...
Of course, if I want to go to the States to spend it, my
... See more
took a look at the US cheque I wanted to deposit (yes, I sometimes do still walk in and do this personally, since the bank is a nice 10 minute walk away), and said "Sure you don't want to hang onto this to see if things change?". In Toronto it is no longer a fun day ( or not quite as), when an American cheque comes in the mail.
The past few jobs I've gotten have been from Europe and I am even happier than I would normally be...
Of course, if I want to go to the States to spend it, my low opinion of the dollar improves significantly...
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Euro is the basis for my calculation Sep 20, 2007

I always give my rates in EUR and then convert them to USD according to current exchange.
Yes, they do come out rather high in USD, so I don't think I'll get a lot of work from the US anymore. But they will need translations anyway. I guess it depends on the language pair whether or not they'll need European translators...
EUR 1 = USD 1,40 today!

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
no problem Sep 20, 2007

About 80% of my revenue comes from the euro zone, and most of the rest is from the USA.

A month or so ago I successfully raised my USD rate by 20% for a long-standing client, on the grounds of a weaker dollar, and I kept receiving jobs from them.

And just 10 minutes ago I received an email from a new client (also from the States), and a direct client at that, that they are happy to accept my quoted rate, which is the highest USD rate I ever charged.

OK, I
... See more
About 80% of my revenue comes from the euro zone, and most of the rest is from the USA.

A month or so ago I successfully raised my USD rate by 20% for a long-standing client, on the grounds of a weaker dollar, and I kept receiving jobs from them.

And just 10 minutes ago I received an email from a new client (also from the States), and a direct client at that, that they are happy to accept my quoted rate, which is the highest USD rate I ever charged.

OK, I will not sleep for two weeks while I work on this project, but at least I'll have some healthy sum arriving just in time for Christmas shopping

cs.
Collapse

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:27
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Perspective from USA Sep 20, 2007

Actually in the US looking at this positively - it has helped. I have gotten more US based clients since I don't care if they pay in US Dollars. And they can send me a US Check which is far cheaper for them versus outrageous European banking fees they might have to deal with. So if Europe is more expensive - it opens up more work for us with USA clients.
I leave if up European clients to decide if they want to pay in Dollars or Euros, either way I gain. If they pay in Dollars, it is cheape
... See more
Actually in the US looking at this positively - it has helped. I have gotten more US based clients since I don't care if they pay in US Dollars. And they can send me a US Check which is far cheaper for them versus outrageous European banking fees they might have to deal with. So if Europe is more expensive - it opens up more work for us with USA clients.
I leave if up European clients to decide if they want to pay in Dollars or Euros, either way I gain. If they pay in Dollars, it is cheaper for them and I can be more competive leading to more business and I can do this by either raising my rates or keeping the rates the same.
If they want to pay me in Euros, the conversion to US Dollar works in my favor.
I don't know if this business environment will make us poorer in the USA in the long run, but right now business in the short term on a global scale with a competitive US Dollar is good.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:27
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Alp / Happy to have the euro jobs Sep 20, 2007

I agree with Alp. I'm also located in the US. It's nice to have the euro-denominated jobs, particularly because it balances out the price increases of recent years. Electricity and heating have gone up, gas prices have tripled, my health insurance has doubled - just in the past 5 years or so. I know we still pay relatively little for gas and food compared to other places, but it's the steep increase in such a short while that's making the impact.

[Edited at 2007-09-20 20:06]

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:27
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
No effect at all Sep 20, 2007

Euros only and European clients for me, so the dollar does not really bother me.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How has the weak US dollar affected your rates?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »