MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 19:35
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
only relevant things Sep 28, 2007

Ahmad Suhaili wrote:

Some people have compared the request from outsourcers for credentials/references to a patient asking his/her doctor for their patient list/references.

I think thats not fair. If you were ill, you would seek a doctor from a clinic or hospital, an established place for doctors. You would not need to question the doctor's credentials in such a place. Similarly, you would not go to an online site where "freelance doctors" & "patients" congregate.

I think an outsourcer is well advised to request references as credentials/experience/qualifications can always be made up. Of course, the translator can always refuse for their own reasons.

[Edited at 2007-09-27 05:53]

Dear Ahmad,

I think that the agency shall ask relevant things only. Just for simple ethincs (and logics). And these relevant things are: name, surname, CV, contact details, and rates (all what you can find on the internet). Why do you think there are laws and regulations limiting the collection of personal data, esp. sentitive personal data (personal IDs, IBANS, etc.). I would think it is even agaist the law to collect bank account information. What for? If they work with the translator, it is fully sure he/she will send them his/her IBAN with his/her invoice. And if you do not cooperate with the translator, why do you need his/her IBAN? Do you give your personal ID number or even your phone number/business card to all people you meet in the street?

[Edited at 2007-09-28 01:57]

Ahmad Suhaili (X)
Ahmad Suhaili (X)
Local time: 00:35
English to Malay
+ ...
Willing Seller, Willing Buyer Sep 28, 2007

Dear Marius,

I was only touching on one aspect which is that of outsourcers requesting for professional credentials/references, not personal details.

It's illegal to collect someone's personal data without the owner's consent, I'm very much in agreement with that. I'm not well versed (at all) with laws regarding collection of personal info but I think its perfectly legal to ask someone for it, correct? A person can also give out their own personal data on a willing basi
... See more
Dear Marius,

I was only touching on one aspect which is that of outsourcers requesting for professional credentials/references, not personal details.

It's illegal to collect someone's personal data without the owner's consent, I'm very much in agreement with that. I'm not well versed (at all) with laws regarding collection of personal info but I think its perfectly legal to ask someone for it, correct? A person can also give out their own personal data on a willing basis without infringing any laws/regulation.

Cheers!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Potential agency client wants my bank details, references, details of past work

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »