Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
translation agency asking for a ID or passport copy
Thread poster: JPaul ROSETO

JPaul ROSETO
Local time: 23:04
Italian to French
+ ...
Oct 2, 2007

Hello everybody,

a Chinese translation agency is aking me to send by fax my ID or passport and on their "collaboration agreement" my ID or passport number. I am afraid to give it to them because of the traffics with identity documents.
Someone can tell me if it is risky to give it to them?

Thanks for answers

Jean-Paul


Direct link Reply with quote
 

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very dodgy... Oct 2, 2007

As far as I know you would only ever need to give copies of your passport to entities in your country of birth or the country you are visiting or a resident of, whether temporary or permanent.

The whole thing sounds very fishy to me. Why on earth would they need a copy of your passport? Unless, of course, it's just a measure to validate your signature, in which case any signed ID would do.

Best of luck,

Paty


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:04
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not necessary Oct 2, 2007

This question has been asked before and the consensus was that it should not be necessary.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience Oct 2, 2007

I had the same request from a Chinese agency, which did not contact me anymore after that.

I sent a copy of my local Italian ID, which cannot be surely used or abused in any other way, since it is issued by my Townhall and has no international validity if disassociated from my physical presence.

If you have a document like that, then send that. I would not send a copy of my passport anyway.



[Modificato alle 2007-10-02 23:10]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:04
Member (2002)
English to Russian
It's not a legal requirement in China Oct 3, 2007

Jean-Paul ROSETO wrote:

a Chinese translation agency is aking me to send by fax my ID or passport and on their "collaboration agreement" my ID or passport number.


I have no idea why they are asking that, but I am quite confident it's not a legal requirement they have to meet.

I have been working for a large Chinese agency since early 2005, and they never requested/demanded anything like that.

Regards,
Vladimir


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Don't you dare Oct 3, 2007

Kiss that agency goodbye.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:34
English to Hindi
+ ...
Same here!! Oct 3, 2007

I also had the same experience a few weeks back and the agency was from China. After a test in both directions(source and target) they informed me it was good and sent detailed agreement forms, etc. When I asked why did they need my bank information and copy of passport, what they replied was this:

"About the copy of your passport,we need it for filing and tracking. Because we always use NATIVE speakers to translate the file into their mother tongue.We want to make sure if the translator is a NATIVE speaker in such language. If you don't want to send us your copy of passport,you can send us your copy of ID, or a translation certificate. We won't send to the third party.Please don't worry."

I was still thinking on it.

Regards,

Pundora


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:04
English to Russian
dangerous Oct 3, 2007

Scancopy of your passport is sensitive information, it can be used to hack your payment system or even bank account, in fact identities is a commodity on nowadays black market, so giving it to to anyone is highly unadvised.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

JPaul ROSETO
Local time: 23:04
Italian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
do you have sent it to them? Oct 3, 2007

Pundora wrote:

I also had the same experience a few weeks back and the agency was from China. After a test in both directions(source and target) they informed me it was good and sent detailed agreement forms, etc. When I asked why did they need my bank information and copy of passport, what they replied was this:

"About the copy of your passport,we need it for filing and tracking. Because we always use NATIVE speakers to translate the file into their mother tongue.We want to make sure if the translator is a NATIVE speaker in such language. If you don't want to send us your copy of passport,you can send us your copy of ID, or a translation certificate. We won't send to the third party.Please don't worry."

I was still thinking on it.

Regards,

Pundora


Direct link Reply with quote
 

KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:04
Japanese to English
Sounds like crap to me... Oct 3, 2007

Having a passport from such-and-such a country is no guarantee that that person will be a native speaker of the dominant language of that country.
To use the example of my current country of residence, Australia: around 2 out of every 7 "Australians" were born overseas, and a significant portion of these people were born in countries in which the native language was not English.
I know plenty of "authentic" Australians (ie. have taken Australian Citizenship and hold a proper Australian passport) whose native language is most definitely not English - in fact, some can barely speak any English at all.

So holding a passport from a particular country may have nothing to do with that person's native language - much less their translation abilities.

There is no way in the world that I would part with such sensitive information, particularly when identity theft is so prevalent these days, as someone mentioned above. There is absolutely no justification (imho) for this agency to demand copies of a document which cannot prove anything about native languages anyway.

[Source]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:04
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Dutch agency asked me the same Oct 3, 2007

They said it would be necessary because of the new European Din-norm for translators.
I know that this is a reliable agency but protection of privacy is a matter of course in the Netherlands and I think it's strange that the manager insisted.
So I had to kiss them goodbye.
They paid high rates, but I don't care anymore.

Solidly united
Stephanie


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No problem in ZA Oct 3, 2007

Jean-Paul ROSETO wrote:
A Chinese translation agency is aking me to send by fax my ID or passport and on their "collaboration agreement" my ID or passport number.


In ZA, I often have to give my ID number and a copy of my ID book at various places where I register for financial reasons. It is so common in ZA that I would not think twice about providing it for an agency asking for it.

But I understand that the use of ID documetation is less common in some countries, and their residents may feel uncomfortable with giving out such information.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:34
English to Hindi
+ ...
No, because the rates were also not so attractive to me. Oct 3, 2007

Jean-Paul ROSETO wrote:

Pundora wrote:

I also had the same experience a few weeks back and the agency was from China. After a test in both directions(source and target) they informed me it was good and sent detailed agreement forms, etc. When I asked why did they need my bank information and copy of passport, what they replied was this:

"About the copy of your passport,we need it for filing and tracking. Because we always use NATIVE speakers to translate the file into their mother tongue.We want to make sure if the translator is a NATIVE speaker in such language. If you don't want to send us your copy of passport,you can send us your copy of ID, or a translation certificate. We won't send to the third party.Please don't worry."

I was still thinking on it.

Regards,

Pundora


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:04
English to French
+ ...
I can't see any reason for such a request, no matter the country Oct 4, 2007

Giuseppina Gatta wrote:

If you have a document like that, then send that.


Even if it was without any danger, I still wouldn't send anything of the sort, simply out of principle. Your relation with them is not as an employee, but as a business. I sure would like to ask the agency to send me their business registration documents!

On second thought, in a communist regime, it is common to be IDd, so maybe it's simply because in that culture it is common practice that they asked for it. Sort of like a cultural misunderstanding. I would question them on this either way...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation agency asking for a ID or passport copy

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search