ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 15:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 6, 2007

Hi,

Recently I have noticed that Kudoz questions appear when googling them at the same day they are asked, even within 5 minutes after question is posted which is great step by Proz to let their site content indexed by Google in minutes.

Does anyone know how to do the same if you run a website? In other words, what is the deal with Google?

Thank you

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Google watches popular pages Oct 6, 2007

Ahmad Wadan wrote:
Does anyone know how to do the same if you run a website? In other words, what is the deal with Google?

Google watches popular pages and updates their pages quicker. Nothing sinister about it.

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Oct 6, 2007

Yes, one can (and I know how).
No, there is no 'deal'.
Start by studying http://www.google.com.au/webmasters/

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Sven! Oct 6, 2007

I'll study that site right away! I was also wondering how to position our website in Google.

Cheers

Letty

Sven Petersson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dear Andres & Leticia, Oct 6, 2007

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Keep in mind that Google's robots do not 'see' what a human visitor see; they 'see' what a text browser like Lynx sees!

You would be well advised to check your site (http://www.argentranslations.com/) in Lynx and adapt it so that it is attractive to both computers 'seeing' it through the eyes of Lynx and humans seeing it through Fire
... See more
Thank you very much for your kind words.

Keep in mind that Google's robots do not 'see' what a human visitor see; they 'see' what a text browser like Lynx sees!

You would be well advised to check your site (http://www.argentranslations.com/) in Lynx and adapt it so that it is attractive to both computers 'seeing' it through the eyes of Lynx and humans seeing it through Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.

Sven Petersson
Medical translator
Collapse

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great info Sven... Oct 6, 2007

We really appreciate it. Your comments are really valuable for us and for many other colleagues!

Thanks so much

Letty

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
The other side Oct 6, 2007

There are many of us who object to having every word we utter on proz.com appear on Google. For one thing it makes it much harder for searchers to find other important information about you, such as your own translator's website or websites about other activities that you are involved in.

Sven do you also have any suggestions on how to have things removed from Google?

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
It's a hard and never ending work Oct 6, 2007

Andres & Leticia Enjuto wrote:

I'll study that site right away! I was also wondering how to position our website in Google.

Cheers

Letty

It requires specific knowledge and skills and there are dozens of methods and tricks. There are specialized companies offering services of positioning. However, this may cost from some 50 - 100 $ per month to +3000 $ per year.
Once positioned, the site requires "maintenance" - it's not a single action.

Good luck!

Andrzej

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Andrzej Oct 6, 2007

I see is not that easy. I didn't know there were so many methods and tricks! I guess it's time consuming too. Now I'm aware is not a single action.
I'd better pay a company to position our website and read about the subject, because I find it interesting.

Thanks again!

Letty

[Edited at 2007-10-06 19:28]

Sven Petersson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dear Tina, Oct 6, 2007

You could, in theory, ask a Proz.com moderator to help you with it (by inserting 'meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow"', but I doubt that they would grant your request(s).

Google writes:

'Need to remove content from Google's index?

Google views the comprehensiveness of our search results as an extremely important priority. We're committed to providing thorough and unbiased search results for our users; therefore, we cannot participate in the practice of censorship.
... See more
You could, in theory, ask a Proz.com moderator to help you with it (by inserting 'meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow"', but I doubt that they would grant your request(s).

Google writes:

'Need to remove content from Google's index?

Google views the comprehensiveness of our search results as an extremely important priority. We're committed to providing thorough and unbiased search results for our users; therefore, we cannot participate in the practice of censorship. We stop indexing pages of a site only at the request of the webmaster who's responsible for those pages, when it's spamming our index, or as required by law. This policy is necessary to ensure that pages aren't inappropriately removed from our index.'

Your best option remains to think before typing.

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

Addendum: See http://www.google.com/intl/en/remove.html

[Edited at 2007-10-06 17:25]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:08
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you Oct 6, 2007

Thank you for responding Sven. I don't disagree with Google's position on this. I think it's up to ProZ. It has been brought up several times in forums - I am not the only one who is not happy with this.

And, yes, I do think before I speak and sometimes I don't respond to a forum post, even when I might like to, thinking "oh, there goes another Google entry".

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
I agree completely Oct 7, 2007

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Thank you for responding Sven. I don't disagree with Google's position on this. I think it's up to ProZ. It has been brought up several times in forums - I am not the only one who is not happy with this.

And, yes, I do think before I speak and sometimes I don't respond to a forum post, even when I might like to, thinking "oh, there goes another Google entry".

But there are a number of people who really count on the Proz/Google link to get their names/pseudonyms plastered all over the web .
I assume they would be bitterly disappointed if this link disappeared.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz & Google

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »